Saints grapple in Hoke County
By News-Argus Staff
Published in Sports on November 23, 2012 1:48 PM
RAEFORD -- Southern Wayne's Aaron Ashford, Kris Faison and Austin Williams each seized their first-ever varsity win during the day-long Hoke County Duals.
Noah Blackmon concluded the day 4-0 and remained perfect in five outings this season. Deonta Hayes collected three wins, while O'khanye Wallace picked up two victories.
"Our program has not won a wrestling match in three years and we faced many state-ranked opponents on the 4-A level that will give us great knowledge for the future," first-year SW head coach Glenn Gardner said. "The kids fought hard today and had a chance to see some of the best wrestling teams in the state. Every match we wrestled, we closed the gap in the dual score."
The Saints (0-5 overall) return to action Dec. 1 at Rocky Mount.
Other Local Sports
- Swimmer Kanter wins two senior gold medals
- Princeton-Plymouth box
- Plymouth ends Princeton's Cinderella season
- Trojan netters ranked 45th nationally in ITA Division II preseason poll
- Stallions too much for Tigers in 1-AA east final
- James Kenan-Southwest Onslow box
- Goldsboro's Bryant, Stampeders eye Grey Cup
- Pirates earn share of CUSA East Division championship
- Outdoors -- Quiet hunting available at Singletary Tract
- Rams fall to Ayden-Grifton