Trojan netters ranked 45th nationally in ITA Division II preseason poll
By Rudy Coggins
Published in Sports on November 25, 2012 1:52 AM
MOC Sports Information
MOUNT OLIVE -- The Mount Olive College men's tennis team, the reigning Conference Carolinas champion, is ranked No. 45 in the ITA Division II men's preseason national poll, compiled by the Intercollegiate Tennis Association.
The Trojans' Edgar Bub is ranked 17th among singles players in the Southeast Regional. On the women's side, the doubles of Francesca Ceppi-Molly Sue Lentini is ranked eighth in the Southeast Region.
ITA rankings are based upon performances at the Southeast Regional this past September.
Bub, a sophomore from Kedl, Germany, earned MVP honors at last year's Conference Carolinas tournament. He also received league freshman-of-the-year accolades after helping MOC capture the tournament championship. Bub posted a 14-9 record at the No. 1 singles slot.
During the fall, Bub won the Conference Carolinas Group A men's singles title. At the ITA Southeast Regional, Bub received a first-round bye and won his second-round match in straight sets before falling in the round of 32.
Ceppi-Lentini, who played only one match as a doubles team last year, advanced to the quarterfinal round of the Group A Women's Doubles at the ITA Southeast Regional. The two posted matching 8-2 wins in the opening round and the round of 32 before falling to the third-seeded doubles team in the quarterfinals.
The Trojans open their 2013 season in February.
Other Local Sports
- Preps digest: Middle school results
- Rosewood grapplers split with Tarboro, North Pitt
- Massengill records double-double for Bulldogs
- Fike slips past Southern Wayne boys
- Davis emerges Chargers' top scorer in road win
- WCDS' Pittman qualifies for NCISAA state swim meet
- Bethel Christian upends Faith Christian girls in NCCSA region affair
- Golden Falcon girls fall behind early, never recover
- Barfield, Kornegay pace Eagles against Faith-RM
- Tuesday's prep basketball boxes