Borja scores 18 in Gators' season-opening defeat
By News-Argus Staff
Published in Sports on November 28, 2012 1:48 PM
SEVEN SPRINGS -- Spring Creek showed drastic signs of improvement from a year ago in a 51-33 loss first-year head coach Charlie Cotten's debut Tuesday evening.
The Gators trailed just 22-17 at the half, but were outscored 32-16 in the second half.
Alyssa Borja led Spring Creek with 18 points and Amber Buchan added eight.
"We're young and inexperienced and that isn't an excuse but I think some of the girls were a little nervous early on," Cotten said. "They settled down and I was pleased with the way we continued to fight and the way we competed for four quarters. We will continue to learn and improve and we'll only get better."
Other Local Sports
- Preps digest: Middle school results
- Rosewood grapplers split with Tarboro, North Pitt
- Massengill records double-double for Bulldogs
- Fike slips past Southern Wayne boys
- Davis emerges Chargers' top scorer in road win
- WCDS' Pittman qualifies for NCISAA state swim meet
- Bethel Christian upends Faith Christian girls in NCCSA region affair
- Golden Falcon girls fall behind early, never recover
- Barfield, Kornegay pace Eagles against Faith-RM
- Tuesday's prep basketball boxes