By From staff reports
Published in Sports on December 1, 2012 11:57 PM
Goldsboro 49, C.B. Aycock 41
* PIKEVILLE -- Goldsboro looked out of synch in the first half against county rival Charles B. Aycock on Friday night.
Luckily for the Cougars, they found their tempo in the second half of a 49-41, non-conference win over the Golden Falcons.
"This year I feel like I have two different teams," third-year Goldsboro head coach LaTina Bullock said. "Some nights we come out ready to play from the opening tip, and others we play in spurts and hope for the best."
Tyona Moses paced the Cougars off the bench with 14 points and nine rebounds. Destini Covington added 11 points and Talaya Balance poured in 10 points.
Myleah Jones led the C.B. Aycock attack with 20 points and nine rebounds. Jones was the only Golden Falcon in double figures.
C.B. Aycock (3-2 overall) travels to Wilson Hunt on Tuesday, while Goldsboro plays host to county foe Eastern Wayne.
Southern Wayne 55, Jones Senior 40
* TRENTON -- Southern Wayne used excellent pressure defense to stifle Jones Senior in a 55-40, non-conference win on Friday night.
Cierra Thompson led the Saints with 22 points and eight steals. Dikeya Cox added 13 points and Keajah Wilson added 10 points in the win.
Southern Wayne (2-2 overall) entertains Jones Senior on Tuesday night.
North Johnston 68, Princeton 32
* KENLY -- Princeton failed to slow down North Johnston's offense in a 68-32 defeat on Friday night.
Savanna Massengill led the Princeton offense with 15 points and four rebounds. Kaitlyn Peedin added seven points for the Bulldogs.
Princeton (0-2 overall) is the guest of Midway on Tuesday.
Hobbton 62, North Duplin 8
* NEWTON GROVE -- North Duplin failed to record a basket in the first and fourth quarters of a 62-8, non-conference loss to Hobbton on Friday night.
Shaily McCarty led the Rebels with four points.
North Duplin (0-2 overall) visits Union on Tuesday.
Rosewood 63, Midway 52
* Rosewood got a big night from its starting backcourt and rolled past Midway 63-52 on Friday evening.
Jyonte Raynor led the Eagles with 28 points. Dee Mabry and Victor Jenkins each added 10 points for the victors.
Rosewood (2-1 overall) travels to Lakewood on Tuesday.
Princeton 45, North Johnston 41
* KENLY -- Princeton earned its first win of the season with a 45-41 triumph over county rival North Johnston on Friday night.
Michael Wooten led the Bulldogs with 16 points. Alex Whitley tallied eight points in the win.
Princeton (1-1 overall) visits Midway on Tuesday.
Hobbton 60, North Duplin 56
* NEWTON GROVE -- North Duplin's second half rally fell just short in a 60-56, non-conference loss at Hobbton on Friday night.
Tyler Royal led the North Duplin attack with 27 points. Cody Ivey added 11 points for the Rebels.
North Duplin (0-2 overall) travels to Union on Tuesday.
Southern Wayne 74, Jones Senior 68
* TRENTON -- Southern Wayne got its offense going early and held on for a 74-68, non-conference win over Jones Senior on Friday night.
Jamiel Price led the Southern Wayne offense with 25 points and six rebounds. Jaylen Roberts added a double-double with 12 points and 11 rebounds. Maurice Butler finished with 22 points.
Southern Wayne (3-1 overall) plays host to Jones Senior on Tuesday.
Eastern Wayne 63, Southern Nash 53
* BAILEY -- Eastern Wayne got back on the winning track with a 63-53, non-conference victory over Southern Nash on Friday night.
Quavius Holloman led the Warriors with 22 points and five rebounds. Malik Richardson and Micah Smith each finished with 10 points for the Warriors.
Eastern Wayne (2-1 overall) is the guest of Goldsboro on Tuesday.
North Lenoir 84, Greene Central 74
* LaGRANGE -- North Lenoir held off a late Greene Central rally for a 84-74, non-conference win on Friday night.
Jaylin Harper paced the Rams with 22 points. Brandon Belcher added 18 points for the visitors.
Wilson Hunt 60, Goldsboro 6
* WILSON -- Kurtis Durham, a returning starter, emerged the lone individual winner during Goldsboro's 60-6, non-conference loss against perennial 3-A power Wilson Hunt on Friday evening.
Durham pinned the Warriors' Cameron Walston in 16 seconds at 160 pounds.
Hunt prevailed in four of five contested matches and received seven forfeits.
* Girls' basketball: C.B. Aycock 27, Goldsboro 25 -- Madison Surelquell hit the game winning free throws in the final seconds as C.B. Aycock defeated Goldsboro 27-25 on Friday night.
* Boys' basketball: Southern Wayne 77, Jones Senior 44 -- Montrell Plummer, Xavier Pearsall and Marquell Broddick each finished with 16 points for the Saints. Southern Wayne improved to 2-2 overall.
* Girls' basketball: Wayne Christian 34, Wayne Country Day 13 -- Kasey Norris led Wayne Christian with 18 points. Georgia Parnell added six points in the win. Wayne Christian improved to 3-0 overall.
Other Local Sports
- Preps digest: JV, middle school roundup
- Rosewood's Scout Anderson signs with MOC
- Saints use late offensive surge to beat Jones Senior
- CBA girls fall to Hunt
- North Duplin girls struggle against Union
- Wooten leads Princeton boys past Midway
- Mabry, Eagles knock off Lakewood
- Ivey paces Rebels' offense in loss to Union
- Hunt rolls past CBA boys
- Lee Christian defeats Wayne Christian boys