Local preps digest
By From staff reports
Published in Sports on December 7, 2012 1:47 PM
North Duplin 37,
Neuse Charter 17
* SMITHFIELD -- North Duplin picked up its first win of the season with a 37-17 victory at Neuse Charter on Thursday evening.
The Rebels' Deja Aycock led all scorers with 14 points. Lyndsie Harrell supplied 13 points and Jordan Jones had six.
North Duplin (1-3 overall) plays host to Hobbton tonight.
Neuse Charter 69,
North Duplin 43
* SMITHFIELD -- Neuse Charter opened up a 21-point lead by halftime and cruised to a 69-43 win over North Duplin on Thursday evening.
Cedrick Kornegay led the Rebels with 11 points. Trey Pate contributed 10 points. Daron Goodman and Tyler Royal each scored six points.
North Duplin (0-4) entertains Hobbton tonight.
Cougars, Eagles compete
* SALEMBURG -- Goldsboro and Rosewood took to the track on Thursday afternoon in a six-team meet at Lakewood.
Heide Trask claimed the boys' portion of the meet with a team score of 101. The host Leopards were second with 79 points and Goldsboro finished third with a score of 66. Rosewood (14 points), North Johnston (8) and Wallace-Rose Hill (0) rounded out the team scoring.
The Cougars' Tyler Lane finished first in the 1,600-meter run and the 1,000-meter run.
Rosewood won the girls' half of the meet with 84 points. Lakewood was second with 76 points and North Johnston finished third with a score of 39. Trask (31), Goldsboro (16) and Wallace-Rose Hill (0) completed the team scoring.
The Eagles' Alysee Atwell prevailed in the 55-meter hurdles and Ashley Duran claimed the 1,600-meter run and the 1,000-meter run. The Cougars' Josephine Grant was first in the 55 meter dash.
Saints hit the pool
* NEW BERN -- Eastern Wayne and Southern Wayne competed in an eight-team meet Thursday afternoon.
J.H. Rose won the boys' portion of the meet with 326 points. Eastern Wayne finished fifth with a score of 110 and Southern Wayne failed to record a team score.
The Saints' Chad Davis finished first in the 100-yard freestyle.
The Warriors received top-10 finishes from Joey Henry (fifth, 100 fly); Greg Moorehead (fifth, 100 breastroke; sixth, 200 free); Sean O'Connel (sixth, 500 free; 10th, 100 breaststroke); Ty Schmeltzer (eighth, 100 back; 10th, 100 free) and Ryan Fleming (10th, 500 free).
New Bern claimed the girls' half of the meet with a team score of 314. Eastern Wayne was seventh with 109 points and Southern Wayne finished eighth with three points.
The Warriors' 200-yard freestyle relay team of Octavia Outlaw, Katherine Jones, Cameron Foster and Faith Boyette outlasted the competition. Teammates Emily Grant, Tricia Malcolm, Sydney Schmeltzer and Lilly Boyette each posted two top-10 times in different events.
* Girls' basketball: Norwayne d. Mount Olive -- Tamika Powell paced Norwayne with 13 points. Allison Shingleton finished with 10 points. Lexi Edmundson and Connor Vinson each had four points. Norwayne (4-0 overall) plays host to Spring Creek on Dec. 13.
* Girls' basketball: Wayne Country Day 29, St. Mary's 0 -- Lillian Freeman scored 14 points for the Chargers and Olivia Dively added five points. Wayne Country Day (1-3 overall) travels to Epiphany on Jan. 8.
* Boys' basketball: Wayne Country Day 52, St. Mary's 41 -- Mitch Turnage finished with 19 points for the Chargers. Hayes Gerrard provided 12 points and John Strickland had 11. Wayne Country Day (3-1 overall) visits Trinity Christian on Tuesday.
Other Local Sports
- Rosewood, Goldsboro separated by 1 point in conference Cup chase
- Preps digest: Middle school roundup
- Goldsboro quartet claims medley relay in annual SEIC meet
- Burns, Mercer lead Eagles' attack
- Mabry paces Rosewood to road win
- 17th Eagle Invitational: Quillen runs table, earns MOW honors
- Local Preps Digest
- Saints use late run to finish off Cougars
- Southern Wayne-Goldsboro boxes
- Tigers accept roles, compile 13-1 record