Pacers turn back Trojans
By MOC Sports Information
Published in Sports on December 7, 2012 1:47 PM
MOC Sports Information
AIKEN, S.C. -- Darrell Patterson scored a season-high 22 points and helped Mount Olive rally from 15 points down in the first half, but host USC Aiken closed out the contest with a 25-10 run and cruised to a 96-82 victory Thursday evening.
Patterson drained a season-best five 3-pointers and led four Trojans in double figures. Jordan McCain added 17 points, while Kendall Hargrove chipped in 13. Dory Hines provided 11 points, eight rebounds and five assists.
Mount Olive chipped away at USCA's 10-point halftime lead.
McCain hit two free throws and delivered a 3-pointer during a 10-5 Trojan spurt to start the half. After falling behind by 10 again, Mount Olive finally made it over the hump.
A three-point play by Patterson, two free throws by Dontrell Brite and a free throw by Ewon Wright brought Mount Olive to within four points. Patterson hit another 3-pointer to make it 67-66 with 8:55 remaining.
The lead changed hands four times in the next 1:40.
Each time the Pacers (3-2 overall) regained the lead, the Trojans answered. Two free throws from Hargrove and a lay-up by Mahamed Ibrahim put the Trojans ahead for the final time, 72-70, with 7:15 left.
Over the next five minutes, Mount Olive turned the ball over four times and missed five of seven shots from the field as USC Aiken rebuilt its lead.
Mount Olive (1-5) returns to action Dec. 11 at UNC Pembroke.
Other Local Sports
- Rosewood, Goldsboro separated by 1 point in conference Cup chase
- Preps digest: Middle school roundup
- Goldsboro quartet claims medley relay in annual SEIC meet
- Burns, Mercer lead Eagles' attack
- Mabry paces Rosewood to road win
- 17th Eagle Invitational: Quillen runs table, earns MOW honors
- Local Preps Digest
- Saints use late run to finish off Cougars
- Southern Wayne-Goldsboro boxes
- Tigers accept roles, compile 13-1 record