Local Preps Digest
By From staff reports
Published in Sports on December 8, 2012 11:54 PM
Goldsboro 48, Southern Wayne 30
* Goldsboro opened up a 25-12 lead at halftime and never looked back in a 48-30 win over Southern Wayne on Friday night.
Cougars' freshman Tyona Moses led all scorers with 14 points to go with six rebounds. Talaya Lassiter contributed 10 points and Destini Covington added nine points.
"Tyona has really provided us with a spark and she has shown her potential," Goldsboro head coach LaTina Bullock said. "I knew she was capable of playing like this before the season began and it is nice to see her playing up to the level that we knew she could."
Zaria Atkins scored 10 points for the Saints.
Southern Wayne (3-3) entertains Triton on Tuesday. Goldsboro (4-1) plays host to Southern Nash on Wednesday.
Nash Central 58, C.B. Aycock 53
* PIKEVILLE -- Nash Cental held off a fourth quarter rally and held on for a 58-53 win over Charles B. Aycock on Friday night.
Ashley Darden led the Golden Falcons with 17 points. Myleah Jones added 16 points and 10 rebounds. Quanika Artis finished with 10 points.
C.B. Aycock (2-6) plays host North Lenoir on Tuesday.
Hobbton 60, North Duplin 15
* CALYPSO -- Hobbton built a double-digit lead in the first quarter and rolled to a 60-15 win over North Duplin on Friday night.
Shaily McCarty led the Rebels' offense with seven points.
North Duplin (1-4) travels to Lakewood on Tuesday.
North Johnston 46, Princeton 38
* PRINCETON -- North Johnston held off Princeton for a 46-38 win on Friday evening.
Savanna Massengill paced the Bulldogs with 19 points and 10 rebounds. Kesley Peeding provided 10 points.
Princeton (2-3) plays host to Hobbton on Tuesday.
Cape Fear Christian 47, Wayne Christian 32
* ERWIN -- Cape Fear Christian used a strong defensive effort to down Wayne Christian 47-32 on Friday night.
Kelsey Kornegay led the Eagles with 14 points and seven rebounds. Brooke Barfield added 10 points and three steals.
Wayne Christian plays host to Grace Christian of Sanford on Dec. 14.
Princeton 60, North Johnston 31
* PRINCETON -- A 24-point outburst in the fourth quarter put the game out of reach as Princeton handled North Johnston 60-31 on Friday night.
Nicholas Cobb led the Bulldogs with 19 points which included 17 markers in the second half. Michael Wooten added nine points in the win.
Princeton (6-1) entertains Hobbton on Tuesday.
Hobbton 51, North Duplin 35
* CALYPSO -- Hobbton used a 15-3 run in the third quarter to put away North Duplin 51-35 on Friday night.
Daron Goodman led the North Duplin attack with 11 points. Savon Scott added 10 points.
North Duplin (0-5) visits Lakewood on Tuesday night.
Cape Fear Christian 78, Wayne Christian 61
* ERWIN -- Goran Cetkovic poured-in 30 points as Cape Fear Chrsitian dropped Wayne Christian 78-61 on Friday night.
Matt Wells led Wayne Christian with 17 points. David Swets added 15 points and Dylan Smith tallied 10 markers.
Wayne Christian (1-9) entertains Grace Christian of Sanford on Dec. 14.
* Boys' basketball: Southern Wayne 64, Goldsboro 56 -- Nashir Bowden led the Cougars with 14 points. Kisheem Faison contributed 13 points and Daktavious Wheeler added 11 points. Southern Wayne was led by Xavier Pearsoll's 31-point effort. Montrell Plumber added 10 points. Southern Wayne improved to 3-2.
* Boys' basketball: C.B. Aycock 50, Nash Central 38 -- T.J. Morrow led the Golden Falcons with 21 points and 14 rebounds. Jamerd Prior and Bryce Jordan each finished with 10 points in the win. C.B. Aycock (5-3) plays host to North Lenoir on Tuesday.
Other Local Sports
- Preps digest: JV, middle school roundup
- Third-quarter field goal drought hurts SW boys
- Wayne County swimmers fare well in home meet
- North Lenoir erases deficit, wins ECC 3-A boys' opener
- Faith Christian boys nip Friendship Christian
- Hobbton drains game-winning 3-pointer at buzzer
- Lakewood boys defeat North Duplin
- Stroud, Tigers handle Jones Senior
- Mitchell leads Rosewood boys to road win
- Eastern Wayne boys prevail in ECC opener