Preps digest: Eastern Wayne girls climb to 8-0 overall
By Andrew Stevens
Published in Sports on December 16, 2012 1:52 AM
Eastern Wayne 73, Goldsboro 46
* Unbeaten Eastern Wayne created havoc on defense and converted turnovers into points during a 73-46 rout of county foe Goldsboro on Friday evening.
"We have to play up tempo and make our pressure defense work for us," Eastern Wayne head coach Tyrone Wagner said. "We talk about it all the time at practice and tonight we were able to speed the game up and get some easy baskets."
Tianna Christopher led Eastern Wayne with a career-high 28 points. Christopher scored in every way as she raced away for layups in transition, hit three 3-point shots and connected on 7-of-11 free throw attempts.
Jasmine Covington added 13 points for the Warriors and Tasia Marsh finished with 11 points.
Tyona Moses emerged as the only Cougar in double figures with 17 points. Talaya Lassiter added nine points in the defeat.
Goldsboro (4-3 overall) entertains Wilson Hunt on Tuesday, while Eastern Wayne (8-0) plays host to Southern Nash on Monday.
Princeton 38, Corinth-Holders 26
* PRINCETON -- Princeton started out on fire offensively and forced 18 turnovers in a 38-26, non-conference victory over Corinth-Holders on Friday evening.
The Bulldogs found their shooting touch in the first quarter and opened up a 26-9 lead by halftime. The Pirates turned up their defensive intensity in the second half were unable to close the gap.
Savanna Massengill and Charley Cox both scored 12 points for the Bulldogs. Massengill also pulled down 10 rebounds and had four blocked shots. Cox recorded five steals and four assists. Jaclyn Farrior added six points.
Princeton (3-4 overall) visits Corinth-Holders on Monday.
Grace Christian 63, Wayne Christian 33
* Wayne Christian never found a way to slow down the Grace Christian offense in a 63-33 defeat on the Carolina Christian 1-A Conference scene Friday night.
Kelsey Kornegay led the Eagles with 20 points. Kaylee Wallace had six points and a team-high 14 rebounds. Brooke Barfield added five points and seven assists.
Wayne Christian plays host to Community Christian on Jan. 3.
Rosewood 58, North Johnston 53
* Lexi Mercer poured in 27 points and Rosewood slipped past North Johnston for a 58-53 victory on Friday night.
Holly Heath and Alicia Burns both scored 10 points for the Eagles.
Rosewood (5-3 overall) faces Cleveland on Dec. 20 at the Bulldog Christmas Classic at Princeton.
Lejeune 56, Spring Creek 21
* SEVEN SPRINGS -- Jazlyn Grimes paced Spring Creek's offense with eight points in a 56-21, non-conference loss to Lejeune at "The Swamp" on Friday evening.
Grimes pulled down 10 rebounds, blocked five shots and picked the Devilpups for two steals.
Spring Creek (0-7 overall) is the guest of Jones Senior on Tuesday.
James Kenan 54, North Duplin 5
* WARSAW -- Jasmine Huffin emerged the game's lone double-figure scorer in James Kenan's 54-5, non-conference triumph over county foe North Duplin inside Harmon Gym on Friday evening.
Eleven Tigers scored and combined for 19 made field goals. Christy Debnam supplied eight points off the bench, while starting guard Tamia Rhodes and reserve Kaytlan Stroud contributed six points apiece.
Shaily McCarty and Belle Scritchfield led the Rebels with three and two points, respectively.
Spring Creek 71, Lejeune 54
* SEVEN SPRINGS -- Spring Creek attacked the rim, created foul trouble for non-conference foe Lejeune and rolled to a 71-54, non-conference victory at "The Swamp" on Friday evening.
The Gators swept the regular-season series.
Lejeune had two players foul out and another finish the game with four fouls.
"The gameplan tonight was to play good position defense, rebound the basketball, push the basketball (upcourt) and attack the rim," Gators' head coach Taylor Jones said. "I thought our guys executed the gameplan very well."
Tre Hammonds pumped in 22 points, grabbed six rebounds and handed out for assists for Spring Creek. Daniel Krentz contributed nine points, while Logan Scott contributed eight points and nine rebounds.
Chad Spurgeon recorded seven points and 11 rebounds. Justin Cianfarra added eight points.
Rosewood 65, North Johnston 43
* Rosewood completed its regular-season sweep of North Johnston with a 65-43 win on Friday night.
Jaquez Raynor led the Eagles with 20 points. Josh Davis and Dee Mabry both scored 10 points.
Rosewood (6-2 overall) faces Cleveland on Dec. 20 at the Bulldog Christmas Classic at Princeton.
Grace Christian 75, Wayne Christian 64
* Wayne Christian came up just short in a 75-64 loss to Carolina Christian 1-A Conference foe Grace Christian of Sanford on Friday night.
David Swets led Wayne Christian with a double-double that included 21 points and 14 rebounds. Dylan Smith also finished with 21 points for the Eagles. Tyler Lacerda added nine points and six assists.
Wayne Christian (1-10 overall) plays host to Community Christian on Jan. 3.
Wilson Christian 54, Faith Christian 49
* Faith Christian endured a 54-49 loss to N.C. Christian Schools Association foe Wilson Christian on Friday night.
Aaron Hill paced the Conquerors with 17 points. Blake Floars had 14 points.
Faith travels to Hilltop Christian on Monday.
* Boys' basketball: Eastern Wayne 54, Goldsboro 51 -- Eric Bufkin led Goldsboro with 11 points. Nashir Bowden added 10 points in the loss. Goldsboro entertains Wilson Hunt on Tuesday.
* Girls' basketball: Goldsboro 30, Eastern Wayne 24 -- Alicia Hobbs led Goldsboro with eight points. Deja Moore and Markia Gardner each finished with seven points for the Cougars. Goldsboro plays host to Wilson Hunt on Tuesday.
Other Local Sports
- Preps digest: JV roundup
- Preps digest: JV, middle school roundup
- Goldsboro-Hunt, Cleveland-Aycock boxes
- Southern Wayne matmen sweep tri-meet
- Princeton girls drop road game
- Faith Christian boys defeated by Hilltop Christian
- Princeton boys fall to Corinth-Holders
- Warrior boys answer Firebirds' third-period surge
- Beddingfield beats Greene Central in EPC play
- Fike boys ease past Saints