Cleveland girls edge Aycock, 48-47
By From staff reports
Published in Sports on December 19, 2012 1:47 PM
PIKEVILLE -- Cleveland nearly let a late lead slip away but managed to recover just in time to hold off C.B. Aycock 48-47 in Eastern Carolina 3-A Conference play Tuesday evening.
The Rams led nearly the entire game until the final two minutes when the Golden Falcons seized the momentum. Lauren Butler put C.B. Aycock in front 47-46 with just 24 seconds to play and the game appeared to be in hand when a turnover by the Rams gave the Golden Falcons the ball back.
Unfortunately, Aycock committed a turnover of its own.
Cleveland's Jasmine Richardson sank the game-winning basket with 11 seconds to play. Cheyenne Wall led the Rams (6-5 overall, 1-1 ECC) with 14 points. Monique Torres added 12 points.
Quanika Artis paced C.B. Aycock with 16 points. Butler and Myleah Jones each added 10 points in the defeat.
C.B. Aycock (4-7, 1-1) entertains Greene Central on Thursday.
Other Local Sports
- Preps digest: JV roundup
- Preps digest: JV, middle school roundup
- Goldsboro-Hunt, Cleveland-Aycock boxes
- Southern Wayne matmen sweep tri-meet
- Princeton girls drop road game
- Faith Christian boys defeated by Hilltop Christian
- Princeton boys fall to Corinth-Holders
- Warrior boys answer Firebirds' third-period surge
- Beddingfield beats Greene Central in EPC play
- Fike boys ease past Saints