Eastern Wayne girls remain perfect on season
By From staff reports
Published in Sports on December 21, 2012 1:46 PM
Eastern Wayne 68, Havelock 49
* Eastern Wayne improved to 11-0 with a convincing 68-49 victory over Havelock on Thursday evening in New Hope.
The Warriors opened the game with an 11-0 run and built a 39-20 lead by halftime.
"The last couple of games we have started out flat," Eastern Wayne head coach Tyrone Wagner said. "Tonight we really talked the our girls about starting out with a lot of energy and really setting the tone early. We were able to do that and I think it helped us build some momentum."
Tianna Christopher led the Warriors with 16 points. Jasmine Covington provided 14 points and Elondia Grant had 12.
Eastern Wayne returns to action Dec. 27-28 in the West Craven Holiday Invitational.
C.B. Aycock 39,
Greene Central 38
* PIKEVILLE -- Charles B. Aycock got off to a hot start and held on for a 39-38 win over Greene Central on Friday night.
The Golden Falcons opened up a 19-12 lead in the first half and pulled away by double digits in the third quarter. Quanika Artis scored eight of her team-high 13 points in the period and the Golden Falcons seemed to be in control.
Rams guard Dashika Mason changed that in the final period as she caught fire from the field and led the visitors back into contention. Mason pulled the Rams within one point at 39-38 with 30 seconds to play and watched as a Golden Falcon miss at the free throw line led to a final shot for Greene Central.
With four seconds to play, C.B. Aycock (5-7 overall) forward Lauren Butler stepped in front of a pass attempt and thwarted what could have been a game-winning layup for the Rams.
Mason finished with 16 points for Greene Central (5-6 overall). Mo Moore added 10 points in the defeat.
Myleah Jones contributed 11 points for the Golden Falcons.
C.B. Aycock travels to Goldsboro on Jan. 3, 2013.
Wilson Fike 39, Princeton 36
* WILSON -- Alcindor Winstead earned the match-clinching pin at 182 pounds and Wilson Fike slipped past Princeton, 39-36, in non-conference action Thursday evening.
Princeton trailed 30-18 when 145-pounder Dillon Pace ignited a comeback with a second-period pin over the Golden Demons' Joseph Messer. Fike's Marco Escamilla earned a decision at 152, but the Bulldogs claimed the next two matches -- pins by Jesse Tomljenovich and Patrick Norris at 160 and 170 pounds, respectively.
Down 36-33, Winstead pinned Justin Worley with 18 seconds remaining in the first period.
The Bulldogs, directed by head coach Terry Braswell, also received individual wins from Skylar Shields (220 pounds), heavyweight Matt Peedin and Alan Fader (126).
* Eastern Wayne 60, Havelock 54 -- Zeke Martin led the victorious Warriors with a double-double -- 23 points, 10 rebounds. Marshall Wellington contributed seven points and seven rebounds. Dameko Artis chipped in seven points and a team-high 14 rebounds. Eastern Wayne (9-2 overall) is the guest of county archrival Southern Wayne on Jan. 2, 2013.
* Girls' basketball: Norwayne 46, Brogden 11 -- Tanika Powell led Norwayne with 14 points, while teammate Hannah Vinson chipped in10. The Cobras (7-0 overall) visit Rosewood on Jan. 3, 2013.
Other Local Sports
- Local digest
- Prep basketball boxes
- Goldsboro outlasts Southern Wayne in overtime
- Bulldog Christmas Classic boxscores
- Cleveland boys turn back Gators
- Rosewood girls defeat Spring Creek
- Princeton girls take Classic title
- Rosewood boys win Bulldog Christmas Classic
- Rosewood's rally falls short against Cleveland girls
- Prep basketball boxes