Local Preps Digest
By From staff reports
Published in Sports on December 30, 2012 1:52 AM
West Craven 59,
Eastern Wayne 56
* VANCEBORO -- West Craven's Jamie Cherry converted a three-point play with 4.6 seconds to go and the Eagles hung on for a 59-56 win over Eastern Wayne on Friday evening. It was the Warriors (12-1) first loss of the season.
With the game tied at 56-56 and fewer than 30 seconds to play, the Warriors missed a pair of free throws before Cherry gave West Craven the lead for good. Eastern Wayne went just 8 for 19 at the foul line. Rajuana Boyette led the Warriors with 13 points. Jasmine Covington had eight points.
Eastern Wayne resumes Eastern Carolina 3-A Conference play on Wednesday at Southern Wayne.
James Kenan 72,
North Duplin 11
* CALYPSO -- James Kenan jumped out to an early lead and never looked back in a 72-11 victory over North Duplin on Friday night.
Kaytlan Stroud paced James Kenan with 15 points. Christy Delonan added 13 points in the win.
Deja Aycock led the Rebels with five points. Shaily McCarty added four points.
North Duplin (1-9) travels to Dixon on Jan. 3.
Southern Wayne 74, West Craven 68, OT
* VANCEBORO -- Angelo Burden scored 21 points and pulled down 10 points to lead Southern Wayne to a 74-68 overtime win on Friday night at West Craven.
The Eagles' Josh Cuthbertson missed a 3-pointer at the end of regulation.
Jaylen Roberts supplied 13 points and six rebounds for the Saints. Tarvis Bradshaw had 10 points.
Southern Wayne (6-4) plays host to Eastern Wayne on Wednesday.
South Creek 65,
* ROBERSONVILLE -- South Creek seized the lead in the second half and then held the ball effectively in a 65-52 win on the second night of the South Creek Holiday Classic.
Michael Wooten led the Princeton attack with 15 points. Alex Whitley added 13 points.
Princeton (5-7) visits Neuse Charter on Jan. 4.
Edenton Holmes 54, Princeton 50
* ROBERSONVILLE -- Edenton Holmes held off a Princeton rally and escaped with a 54-50 victory on Thursday night in the South Creek Holiday Classic.
Nicholas Cobb scored 13 points for Princeton and was named to the All-tournament team.
James Kenan 51,
North Duplin 46
* CALYPSO -- James Kenan held off a furious fourth quarter comeback by North Duplin and earned a 51-46 win on Friday night.
T.J. Fullwood paced the James Kenan offense with 15 points. Gregory Washington added 12 points.
North Duplin was led by Trey Pate's 15-point outing. Tyler Royal finished with 14 points in the loss.
North Duplin (0-10) travels to Dixon on Jan. 3.