Three area players honored
By From staff reports
Published in Sports on January 2, 2013 1:47 PM
Three area high school football players were named to the 2012 NCPreps.com 1-A All-State team this week.
Princeton punter Ryne Woodard, North Duplin quarterback Tyler Royal and James Kenan running back Marcelias Sutton were each selected by the web site that covers high school sports throughout the state.
Woodard averaged 39.6 yards a punt this season with a long of 54 yards. He pinned six punts inside the 20-yard line and was a key part of the Bulldogs' run to the eastern regional finals. Woodard also hauled in a touchdown pass during a playoff victory at rival Rosewood.
Royal and the Rebels' offensive racked up yards on the ground all season in their triple-option offense. The senior quarterback was selected to the NCPreps.com 1-A All-State team as an athlete and finished with 2,046 rushing yards and 29 touchdowns. North Duplin finished the season 7-4 and advanced to the 1-A state playoffs before losing to Princeton in the first round.
Sutton was a part of a talented Tigers' backfield that combined to rush for more than 4,000 yards and 50 touchdowns this season. The junior tailback rushed for 1,804 yards and 19 touchdowns. James Kenan finished the season 13-1 and advanced the east finals before losing at home to Southwest Onslow.
Other Local Sports
- Preps digest: JV roundup
- Aycock officials have opportunity to upgrade football program
- Princeton boys escape Neuse Charter
- Friday's prep basketball boxes
- Patterson sparks MOC men on road
- Eastern Wayne boys rally past CBA
- EW girls stay unbeaten in ECC play
- Princeton girls roll past Neuse Charter
- Rams fall to Tarboro on EPC 2-A boys' hoops scene
- Faith Christian drops road game