Local Preps Digest
By From staff reports
Published in Sports on January 3, 2013 1:47 PM
Eastern Wayne 58, Southern Wayne 50
* DUDLEY -- Eastern Wayne saw an 11-point third-quarter lead evaporate but managed to hang on for a 58-50 win on Wednesday night at Southern Wayne.
The Saints trailed 34-23 in the third quarter before starting the fourth quarter on an 8-2 run to create a 40-40 tie.
Southern Wayne's Keajah Wilson scored with fewer than two minutes to play to tie the game at 49-49. Eastern Wayne (13-1, 2-0 ECC) responded with eight consecutive points to put the game away as the Saints struggled with turnovers and missed free throws. Elondia Grant and Raju'ana Boyette each scored 11 points for the Warriors. Tianna Christopher contributed 10 points.
"We got some key turnovers," Eastern Wayne head coach Tyrone Wagner said. "Elondia got a key block at the end and we kind of reeled off some points after that."
Southern Wayne (7-5, 1-1) shot just 22 for 48 at the free throw line and the two teams combined to miss 38 free throws. Zaria Atkins paced the Saints with 13 points. Erika Lane finished with 12 points.
"Our girls gave us a great effort and they didn't quit," Southern Wayne head coach Ricky Lofton said. "The missed free throws and turnovers hurt us a lot. Right there at the end they put a lot of pressure on us and made us make turnovers."
The Warriors play host to Charles B. Aycock on Friday while the Saints visit Triton.
C.B. Aycock 65, South Johnston 15
* PIKEVILLE -- Charles B. Aycock dominated Eastern Carolina 3-A Conference foe South Jonston in a 65-15 victory on Wednesday night.
Zach Howard, Blake Davis, Tanner Stevens, Trenton Marquard, Daniel Romo, Jaquan Walker, Jaret Paynter, Khaliel Owens, Broc Doyle, Ryan Morton and Matt Teachey each recorded a win for the Golden Falcons.
Aycock (18-1, 1-1 ECC) returns to the mat this Saturday in the Falcon Invitational.
Other Local Sports
- Preps digest: JV roundup
- Aycock officials have opportunity to upgrade football program
- Princeton boys escape Neuse Charter
- Friday's prep basketball boxes
- Patterson sparks MOC men on road
- Eastern Wayne boys rally past CBA
- EW girls stay unbeaten in ECC play
- Princeton girls roll past Neuse Charter
- Rams fall to Tarboro on EPC 2-A boys' hoops scene
- Faith Christian drops road game