By From staff reports
Published in Sports on January 4, 2013 1:47 PM
C.B. Aycock 38
In a game where pace of play was critical, Goldsboro slowed things down and worked for good shots. The Cougars grabbed the lead early and never trailed in a 54-38 victory on Thursday night.
Goldsboro opened the game on an 8-0 run and maintained the advantage until the intermission.
The Cougars broke the game open late in the third quarter and put the contest away when Talaya Lassiter drilled a half-court shot to end the period.
Tyona Moses led the Goldsboro (5-5 overall) attack with 19 points. Destini Covington added 14 points and Lassiter finished with 12 points.
Myleah Jones paced C.B. Aycock (4-9 overall) with eight points. Quanika Artis, Ashley Darden and Taylor Daniels each had six points in the loss.
C.B. Aycock travels to Eastern Wayne tonight. Goldsboro is off until Jan. 11 when they play host to North Duplin.
Neuse Charter 10
* SMITHFIELD -- Rosewood jumped out to an early lead and never looked back in a 69-10 blowout of Neuse Charter on Thursday night.
Lexi Mercer led the Eagles with 18 points. Krystal Yelverton added 16 points, Callie Thornton finished with nine and Logan Bill added eight.
Rosewood (7-4 overall) entertains Ayden-Grifton on Jan. 11.
Dixon 48, North Duplin 25
* HOLLY RIDGE -- Dixon raced ahead by double digits in the first quarter and dropped North Duplin 48-25 on Thursday night.
Shaily McCarty finished with 10 points to lead the Rebels. Jordan Jones added seven points in the defeat.
North Duplin (1-10 overall) visits Lejeune on Jan. 9.
Community Christian 49, Wayne Christian 46
* Wayne Christian came close but could not pull off a win over Community Christian on Thursday night.
Brooke Barfield led the Wayne Christian offense with 23 points and eight rebounds. Kelsey Kornegay added 13 points and 14 rebounds. Victoria Combs added eight points.
Wayne Christian plays host to Bethel Christian on Saturday.
Neuse Charter 42
* SMITHFIELD -- Rosewood used a stellar defensive effort to down Neuse Charter 62-42 on Thursday night.
Dennis Mitchell led the Eagles with 18 points. Jyonte Raynor added 14 points.
Rosewood (9-2 overall) entertains to Ayden-Grifton on Jan. 11.
Dixon 66, North Duplin 49
* HOLLY RIDGE -- Dixon pulled away in the fourth quarter of a 66-49 win over North Duplin on Thursday night.
Tyler Royal led the Rebels with 18 points. Savon Scott and Cody Ivey each added seven points for the Rebels.
North Duplin (0-11 overall) travels to Lejeune on Jan. 9.
Community Christian 85, Wayne Christian 59
* Community Christian took down Wayne Christian 85-59 on Thursday night.
Dylan Smith led the Eagles with 19 points. David Swets added 18 points and five rebounds.
Wayne Christian (1-11 overall) plays host to Bethel Christian on Saturday.
* AYDEN -- One night after defeating Greene Central, Princeton hit the road for a match against Carolina 1-A Conference rival Ayden-Grifton. The Chargers prevailed 63-18.
Martin Bayles, Hart Holt and Dillon Pace each recorded a pin for the Bulldogs.
Princeton travels to North Johnston on Jan. 8.
* Boys' basketball: Goldsboro 42, C.B. Aycock 33 -- Nashir Bowden led Goldsboro with 10 points. Eric Bufkin added nine points for the Cougars.
* Girls' basketball: C.B. Aycock 21, Goldsboro 18 -- Markia Gardner paced Goldsboro with 14 points. Alicia Hobbs added four points in the defeat.
Other Local Sports
- Preps digest: JV roundup
- Aycock officials have opportunity to upgrade football program
- Princeton boys escape Neuse Charter
- Friday's prep basketball boxes
- Patterson sparks MOC men on road
- Eastern Wayne boys rally past CBA
- EW girls stay unbeaten in ECC play
- Princeton girls roll past Neuse Charter
- Rams fall to Tarboro on EPC 2-A boys' hoops scene
- Faith Christian drops road game