Local Preps Digest
By From staff reports
Published in Sports on January 9, 2013 1:47 PM
Wayne Country Day 87,
The Epiphany School 46
* NEW BERN -- Deshar Thomas pumped in 18 points and Wayne Country Day opened its 2013 Coastal Plains Independent 1-A Conference campaign with an 87-46 thrashing of The Epiphany School.
Lee Atkinson chipped in 13 points. Joel Davis and Vic Miller contributed 12 points and 11 points, respectively.
The Chargers (9-3 overall) play host to Freedom Christian on Friday.
Neuse Christian 102, Wayne Christian 33
* Neuse Christian drained 12 baskets behind the 3-point arc and rolled to a 102-33 victory over Wayne Christian in a Carolina Christian 1-A Conference game Tuesday evening.
The Lions converted 42 field goals on the night.
Wayne Christian reserve James Tucker and starter Matt Wells shared game-high scoring honors with eight points apiece. Guard Tyler Lacerda contributed six points.
Neuse Christian (10-6 overall, 6-0 CCC) broke the game open with a full-court trap defense that forced Wayne Christian to speed up the tempo. The Eagles committed 18 turnovers, while the Lions collected 15 steals.
Jalen Gaddy led five Neuse players in double figures with 24 points. Daron Gipson added 23. Justin Storey and Luke Adams chipped in 17 and 10 points, respectively. Fred Rambert dished out eight assists.
Wayne Christian (1-13, 0-6) travels to CCC foe Trinity Academy of Raleigh on Friday.
Eastern Wayne 69,
* ERWIN -- State-ranked Eastern Wayne grabbed a 16-point lead by halftime and kept the momentum in a 69-57 triumph over Triton during Eastern Carolina 3-A Conference play Monday evening.
Jasmine Covington emerged the Warriors' top scorer with 12 points. Nijah Muhammad added 10 points, while Tianna Christopher chipped in nine.
Ten Eastern Wayne players scratched in the scoring column.
The Warriors, ranked No. 6 in the latest NCPreps.com 3-A media poll, improved to 15-1 overall and remained perfect in four ECC games this season. They return to action at home Jan. 16 against North Lenoir.
Spring Creek 29
* LITTLEFIELD -- Amber Buchan knocked down a team-high 15 points during Spring Creek's 56-29 loss to Ayden-Grifton in the Carolina 1-A Conference opener for both teams Monday evening.
Alyssa Borja added 12 points.
The Gators (0-11 overall) entertain Princeton on Friday.
* Boys' basketball: Wayne Country Day 34, Epiphany 28 -- Mitch Turnage finished with 12 points for the Chargers. John Strickland added eight points and Hayes Gerrard had six. Wayne Christian (4-2, 1-0 CPIC) entertains Freedom Christian on Friday.
* Girls' basketball: Epiphany 23, Wayne Country Day 16 -- Lillian Freedman led the Chargers (1-4, 0-1 CPIC) with 10 points. Jasmine Jones scored six points.
Other Local Sports
- Whitfield Hall of Fame welcomes 2013 class
- Weekend preps
- W.Country Day falls to Freedom Christian boys
- Prep basketball boxes
- MOC volleyball wins
- Rosewood boys rally past Ayden-Grifton
- MOC men open season with win at King
- Stevens: Lockout over, Hurricanes will get chance to check out investment
- Local Preps Digest: Norwayne's girls edge Greenwood
- Lejeune girls roll past North Duplin