Local Preps Digest
By From staff reports
Published in Sports on January 16, 2013 1:47 PM
Bethel Christian 47, Faith Christian 26
* Bethel Christian used an 8-0 run in the third quarter to put away Faith Christian in a 47-26 victory in N.C. Christian Schools Association play Tuesday evening.
Carly Sanderson scored 18 of her game-high 22 points in the opening half as the Trojans built a double-digit lead.
"We got behind early tonight because of turnovers," Faith Christian head coach Eddie Smith said. "We showed our youth a little bit and Bethel has a very good team and they took advantage."
Molly Roebuck paced the Faith Christian offense with 11 points. Abigail Pierce added six points for the Conquerors.
Faith Christian (1-10 overall) plays host Tabernacle Christian on Friday night.
Oakwood 53, Wayne Country Day 46
* Wayne Country Day trimmed a 20-point, third-quarter deficit to nine points but couldn't complete the comeback in a 53-46 loss to defending Coastal Plains Independent 1-A Conference champion Oakwood on Tuesday evening.
The Chargers' Sarah Best scored a game-high 24 points.
"Sarah showed her senior leadership in the second half," Wayne Country Day head coach Eric Perry said. "She's been through the highs and lows of this program. We just didn't execute well in the first half and it wasn't because Oakwood didn't show us anything we weren't prepared for."
The Chargers (4-7 overall, 2-1 CPIC) travel to Greenfield on Friday.
Crossraods Christian 58,
Wayne Christian 55
* HENDERSON -- Wayne Christian came up just short in a 58-55 loss Tuesday night at Carolina Christian 1-A Conference opponent Crossroads Christian.
Chris Easom finished with 18 points, five rebounds and four steals for the Eagles. Dylan Smith provided 12 points, seven rebounds and three assists. David Swets added 10 points, 11 rebounds, four blocks and two steals.
Wayne Christian (1-15 overall, 0-8 CCC) visits Cresset Christian on Friday.
* Boys' basketball: Wayne Country Day 67, Oakwood 25 -- Preston Edwards scored 22 points for the Chargers. Corey Carpenter had 20 points and Jason Jones contributed 13 points. The Chargers (6-2 overall) travel to Greenfield on Friday.
* Girls' basketball: Oakwood 35, Wayne Country Day 7 -- Lillian Freedom led the Chargers (1-6 overall) with five points in the Coastal Plains Independent 1-A Conference game.
* Girls' basketball: Norwayne 39, Grantham 24 -- Connor Vinson led Norwayne with 19 points. Hannah Vinson added six points for the Cobras. Neshe Mayfield paced Grantham with 10 points. Norwayne (11-0 overall) entertains Mount Olive on Jan. 24.
* Boys' basketball: Wayne Country Day 31, Oakwood 27 -- Mitch Turnage finished with 13 points for the Chargers (6-2 overall). John Strickland provided nine points.
Other Local Sports
- Aycock grapplers knock off Princeton
- Goldsboro, Rosewood seniors hit water one final time at Y
- Mitchell says Rosewood answering preseason concerns
- Summerlin notches ace at GMGC
- Simmons siblings selected
- Preps digest: Middle school news
- Preps digest: JV roundup
- Saints trip up Golden Falcons in ECC hoops
- Wednesday's prep basketball boxes
- North Lenoir boys stay unbeaten in ECC