Warrior grapplers finish 2-1 at South Lenoir
By Rudy Coggins
Published in Sports on January 22, 2013 1:47 PM
DEEP RUN -- Eastern Wayne scrapped with an old nemesis and upended a county rival during a non-conference, four-team meet contested at South Lenoir High School.
The Warriors dropped a 51-25 decision to former Eastern Carolina 3-A Conference foe West Carteret, but rebounded with consecutive triumphs over South Lenoir (42-34) and Southern Wayne (53-24).
Eastern Wayne wrestlers combined for 21 individual victories.
Junior Jamel Barrett, sophomore Kevon Tune and sophomore Andre Smith each finished the day 3-0. Junior Brice Heller, junior Darrian Adkins, sophomore Justice Johnson and heavyweight Bryan Wooten won two matches apiece. Wooten turned back West Carteret's Michael Dale, 2-1.
Cainen Miller, Josh Ginnity, Julian Bruton and senior Romario Torres also scratched in the win column.
Southern Wayne's Nick Kennon (138 pounds), Earle Campbell (170), Chris Brinson (182) and heavyweight standout Deonta Hayes each picked up an individual win against Eastern Wayne.
The Saints (9-22 overall) and Warriors (10-9) meet again today in Dudley. Match time is 7 p.m.
Other Local Sports
- Eastern Wayne matmen pin county rival
- Preps digest: JV sports
- Goldsboro boys top Rosewood, stay perfect in league play
- Tuesday's prep basketball boxes
- Jetton scores ace at GMGC
- Hill scores 24 in Faith Christian's road defeat
- Triton boys upend Southern Wayne
- Princeton boys turn back North Duplin
- WCDS girls drop CPIC road game
- Wilson Christian girls too strong for Faith Christian