By News-Argus Staff
Published in Sports on February 1, 2013 1:47 PM
Princeton 38, Ayden-Grifton 37
* AYDEN -- Princeton squeaked out a 38-37 win in overtime against Carolina 1-A Conference foe Ayden-Grifton on Thursday evening.
Savanna Massengill led the Bulldogs with 18 points and 16 rebounds. Charley Cox provided nine points and Hailey Wood had eight points.
Princeton (9-7 overall, 3-2 CC) plays host to Spring Creek tonight.
Southern Wayne 49,
* DUDLEY -- Southern Wayne improved to 4-4 in Eastern Carolina 3-A Conference play with a 49-35 win over Cleveland on Thursday evening.
Zaria Atkins scored 23 points and handed out six assists for the Saints. Latrecia Johnson supplied eight points and nine rebounds. Keajah Wilson also had eight points.
Southern Wayne (10-8 overall) plays host to South Johnston tonight.
C.B. Aycock 45,
South Johnston 34
* PIKEVILLE -- Charles B. Aycock defeated South Johnston 45-34 in Eastern Carolina 3-A Conference play on Thursday evening.
Myleah Jones led the Golden Falcons with 14 points. Quanika Artis and Ashley Darden both had eight points.
C.B. Aycock (8-11 overall, 5-3 ECC) entertains Eastern Wayne tonight.
Area Carolina 1-A
* WENDELL -- Rosewood's girls and Goldsboro's boys emerged the "unofficial" team champions during the season-ending Carolina/Northern Carolina 1-A/2-A indoor track and field meet contested at Corinth-Holders High School on Thursday afternoon.
The Eagles, who had just one individual champion, emerged the top-scoring Carolina 1-A team with 67 points. The Cougars, who had two gold medalists, amassed 83 points.
Corinth-Holders swept the 2-A team titles.
Rosewood's Anna Ingram won the shot put with a toss of 29 feet, 4 inches -- one inch longer than Corinth-Holders' Brenda Whitaker. Teammate Alysse Atwell was the runner-up in the 55-meter dash and triple jump.
"That was a dogfight between Anna and that girl from Corinth," Rosewood head coach Daniel Baynes said. "It was a really tough day with the wind for the runners."
Goldsboro's Rasheid Malette won the high jump with a leap of 5-8. Teammate Jaleel Cook bested the 500-meter dash field with a time of 1:12 -- one second faster than Corinths' Kendrick Cobb.
Spring Creek's Carlos Osorio won the shot put with a distance of 40-5. Rosewood's Fouad Ismail finished second, followed by Goldsboro's Bernard Cannon and Spring Creek's Martavious Brigham.
Princeton had three individual champions -- Jordan Keene (pole vault), Jamaal Allen (55-meter hurdles) and Cam McDougald (55-meter dash).
Southern Wayne 68, Cleveland 56
* DUDLEY -- Southern Wayne turned back Eastern Carolina 3-A Conference foe Cleveland 68-56 on Thursday night.
The Saints' Ronnell Outlaw scored 15 points and Jamiel Price contributed 14 points.
Southern Wayne (11-6 overall, 5-3 ECC) entertains South Johnston tonight.
C.B. Aycock 59,
South Johnston 54
* PIKEVILLE -- Charles B. Aycock held off Eastern Carolina 3-A Conference opponent South Johnston, 59-54, on Thursday night.
Shakel Powell and Michael Williams both tallied 14 points for the Golden Falcons. Greg Williams provided 11 points.
Aycock (10-9 overall, 5-3 ECC) plays host to Eastern Wayne tonight.
Ayden-Grifton 61, Princeton 44
* AYDEN -- Princeton endured a 61-44 loss at Carolina 1-A Conference foe Ayden-Grifton.
Alex Whitley, Nick Cobb and Michael Wooten each scored 12 points for the Bulldogs.
Princeton (7-11 overall, 1-4 CC) plays host to Spring Creek tonight.
* Girls' basketball: Norwayne 42, Spring Creek 22 -- Connor Vinson paced Norwayne with 12 points. Hannah Vinson scored 10 points, while Na'tiana Barnes and Taneka Powell each had five points. Destiny Sutton finished with eight points for the Gators. Norwayne (14-0 overall) entertains Eastern Wayne on Monday.
Other Local Sports
- Local preps digest
- Rosewood drops game at Ayden-Grifton
- Princeton boys take down Spring Creek
- Prep basketball boxes
- MOC women fall to North Greenville
- MOC men defeat North Greenville
- MOC baseball sweeps Lenoir-Rhyne
- Hot Stove Banquet set for Monday
- C.B. Aycock boys defeat Eastern Wayne
- Area Carolina 1-A schools compete