Berry, Orrison pace MOC offense against Lenoir-Rhyne
By Rudy Coggins
Published in Sports on February 4, 2013 1:48 PM
HICKORY -- Jermaine Berry cranked out three hits and scored three runs during Mount Olive's 12-5 triumph over in-state college baseball rival Lenoir-Rhyne on Sunday afternoon.
The No. 3-ranked Trojans swept the three-game series.
Zak Orrison delivered two hits and three RBI. Mike Mercurio and Daniel Oliver contributed two hits apiece. Every MOC starter recorded at least one hit on the day.
Derek Justice permitted four hits, recorded five strikeouts and held Lenoir-Rhyne scoreless during a five-inning stint for his first win of the season. Justice, Matt Dillon and Alex Regan -- the Trojans' starting pitching rotation -- combined to toss 14 shutout innings against L-RC.
Mount Olive, ranked No. 3 nationally, opens the home portion of its schedule next Saturday against Newberry (S.C.) College. The doubleheader begins at 2 p.m. The teams will play a single game Sunday.
Other Local Sports
- Preps digest: JV, middle school news
- Chargers' Best surpasses 300 points for the season
- Greenfield avenges loss to WCDS boys
- Southern Wayne boys claim pivotal ECC victory
- Tuesday's prep basketball boxes
- Wayne Christian boys fall in CCC play
- Triton boys defeat Eastern Wayne
- Norris, Cobb lead Princeton boys
- Princeton's Massengill hits 1,000 points for career
- Southern Wayne girls rout North Lenoir