MOC finishes 3-1 at Swamp Fox Classic
By News-Argus Staff
Published in Sports on February 4, 2013 1:48 PM
FLORENCE, S.C. -- Kalie Smith pounded out four hits and Mount Olive College hammered out a 12-4, mercy-rule triumph over Wheeling Jesuit (W. Va.) University on day two the Swamp Fox Classic contested at Francis Marion University.
FMU defeated MOC, 7-2, in the nightcap.
Christie Wright and Jennifer Jones provided three hits apiece during the rout of Wheeling Jesuit. Wright scattered eight hits and fanned five Wheeling batters in a complete-game effort inside the pitching circle.
MOC erupted for seven first-inning runs and cruised from there.
The Trojans managed just three hits during the first five innings and avoided the shutout on Moore's two-run homer in the sixth. Patriot hurler Taylor Luff retired the final five batters she faced and handed MOC its first loss of the season.
MOC and FMU meet again Saturday in Florence for a doubleheader.
Other Local Sports
- Preps digest: JV, middle school news
- Chargers' Best surpasses 300 points for the season
- Greenfield avenges loss to WCDS boys
- Southern Wayne boys claim pivotal ECC victory
- Tuesday's prep basketball boxes
- Wayne Christian boys fall in CCC play
- Triton boys defeat Eastern Wayne
- Norris, Cobb lead Princeton boys
- Princeton's Massengill hits 1,000 points for career
- Southern Wayne girls rout North Lenoir