Rosewood grapplers finish second at Gray's Creek
By Staff Reports
Published in Sports on February 4, 2013 1:48 PM
HOPE MILLS -- Senior Nick Quillen earned Most Outstanding Wrestler accolades and Rosewood's wrestlers placed second overall during the team portion of the Battle at the Bears' Den, hosted by Gray's Creek High School.
Quillen scored two tech falls and pinned an opponent on the day.
The Eagles dropped a 37-36 decision to Fayetteville Cape Fear, but rebounded to defeat Gray's Creek (41-35), Terry Sanford (42-30) and Hoke County (50-27).
Gray's Creek won the team title based on team points scored criteria, which was a 192-171 edge over Rosewood.
"It was an overall great experience to go to the Fayetteville area and see teams we have never wrestled," RHS head coach Bill Edmundson said. "Our guys were introduced to techniques and situations that will only benefit us in the playoffs."
Malik Boyd finished 4-0 in the tournament. Edmundson complimented Evan Reiss on his match-by-match improvement. The coach also said that Angel Jaramillo and the Drew twins -- Josh and Sam -- faced extremely strong competition that ended in mixed results.
Rosewood (35-11 overall) faces South Lenoir during a non-conference tri-match Thursday at Greene Central. The Eagles will play host to the season-ending Carolina-Four Rivers Conference tournament next Saturday.
Other Local Sports
- Preps digest: JV, middle school news
- Chargers' Best surpasses 300 points for the season
- Greenfield avenges loss to WCDS boys
- Southern Wayne boys claim pivotal ECC victory
- Tuesday's prep basketball boxes
- Wayne Christian boys fall in CCC play
- Triton boys defeat Eastern Wayne
- Norris, Cobb lead Princeton boys
- Princeton's Massengill hits 1,000 points for career
- Southern Wayne girls rout North Lenoir