Chargers' Best surpasses 300 points for the season
By Rudy Coggins
Published in Sports on February 6, 2013 1:47 PM
Senior point guard Sarah Best surpassed 300 points for the season and Wayne Country Day handed nemesis Greenfield a 48-29 setback in Coastal Plains Independent 1-A Conference play Tuesday evening.
Best emerged the game's top scorer with 18 points, which boosted her season total to 301. The four-year starter grabbed eight rebounds, dished out six assists and shot 6 of 6 at the free throw line.
Backcourt mate Bailee Creger knocked down 12 points, while Hannah Pearson chipped in eight points, seven rebounds and two steals. Karis Hawkins collected six points.
The Chargers reeled off 10 of the game's first 12 points and owned a 15-point halftime lead. The Knights endured an 11 1/2-minute drought without a field goal, but made things interesting in the third period.
Guard Alexus Toney, who tallied 15 points, caught fire offensively and helped Greenfield climb to within 31-21 with less than two minutes remaining in the third period. Wayne Country Day answered with a game-ending 17-8 run and avenged an earlier conference loss.
The Chargers (7-11 overall, 5-4 CPIC) celebrate senior night Thursday against Community Christian.
Other Local Sports
- Southern Wayne wrestling boxes
- Young Saints show maturity on the mat
- CBA grapplers have no trouble
- AG boys pull away from Spring Creek
- Neuse Charter sinks Princeton boys
- GC boys stop SouthWest in OT
- Princeton girls sail through Neuse Charter
- Royals flush Trojan men in league play
- MOC begins new chapter in women's athletics program
- Trojan women drop 4th consecutive outing