Eastern Wayne girls secure ECC championship outright
By Staff Reports
Published in Sports on February 6, 2013 1:47 PM
Goal No. 1 accomplished.
And what a historical moment it was, too.
No. 5-ranked Eastern Wayne clinched the Eastern Carolina 3-A Conference regular-season championship outright with a 53-39 triumph over Triton on Tuesday evening. The Warriors claimed the first-ever such title in program history after finishing ECC runner-up from 2006-08 and in 2012.
"This was a great win for us and marks off one of our many goals for this year," EW head coach Tyrone Wagner said.
The Warriors (21-1 overall, 10-0 ECC) secured an opening-round bye for the season-ending conference tournament, and earned the league's No. 1 seed for the upcoming N.C. High School Athletic Association playoffs.
Five seniors -- Nijah Muhammad, Tamiya Dortch, Tasia Marsh, Rajuana Boyette and B'Renda Hutchins -- played their final regular-season home game and comprised the starting lineup against the Hawks. Marsh collected six points, while Boyette pumped in five.
Elondia Grant emerged Eastern Wayne's top scorer with 16 points. Sophomore Jasmine Covington contributed seven points. Sophomores Tianna Christopher and Megan Mozingo supplied five points apiece.
Eastern Wayne is the guest of North Lenoir on Friday.
Other Local Sports
- Preps digest: JV, middle school news
- Chargers' Best surpasses 300 points for the season
- Greenfield avenges loss to WCDS boys
- Southern Wayne boys claim pivotal ECC victory
- Tuesday's prep basketball boxes
- Wayne Christian boys fall in CCC play
- Triton boys defeat Eastern Wayne
- Norris, Cobb lead Princeton boys
- Princeton's Massengill hits 1,000 points for career
- Southern Wayne girls rout North Lenoir