Southern Wayne girls rout North Lenoir
By News-Argus Staff
Published in Sports on February 6, 2013 1:47 PM
DUDLEY -- Southern Wayne made the most of a hot start and kept North Lenoir at arm's length throughout a 57-36 win on the Eastern Carolina 3-A Conference basketball scene.
The Saints (13-8 overall, 6-4 ECC) opened the game with 20 points in the first quarter thank to a stellar defensive effort that turned Hawk turnovers into easy baskets. Southern Wayne continued to roll in the second quarter and built a 33-15 lead at the intermission.
North Lenoir (2-20, 0-10) rallied briefly in the third quarter and cut the Southern Wayne advantage to 14 points but could get no closer.
Amanda Bizzell and Quaya Porter each tallied 11 points for the Hawks.
Zaria Atkins led the way for Southern Wayne with 18 points. Adriana Herring added 11 points and Cierra Thompson tallied 10 points in the win.
Southern Wayne travels to C.B. Aycock on Friday night, while North Lenoir plays host to Eastern Wayne.
Other Local Sports
- Southern Wayne wrestling boxes
- Young Saints show maturity on the mat
- CBA grapplers have no trouble
- AG boys pull away from Spring Creek
- Neuse Charter sinks Princeton boys
- GC boys stop SouthWest in OT
- Princeton girls sail through Neuse Charter
- Royals flush Trojan men in league play
- MOC begins new chapter in women's athletics program
- Trojan women drop 4th consecutive outing