Trojan women drop 4th consecutive outing
By Rudy Coggins
Published in Sports on February 7, 2013 1:47 PM
CHARLOTTE -- Mount Olive grabbed a late five-point lead, but Queens scored the final seven points from the free throw line and pulled out a dramatic, 55-53 win on the Conference Carolinas women's basketball scene Wednesday evening.
Joneiqua Gary, Alexandra Silva, Tamara Nesmith and Shylia Buie combined for 40 of Mount Olive's 53 points. Gary led the Trojans with a game-high 12 points.
MOC suffered its fourth straight defeat.
The Trojans (12-7 overall, 8-7 CC) trailed by four at halftime, but took their first lead of the second half at 43-41 with 8:27 left to play on Gary's second 3-pointer of the contest.
The next three minutes saw three ties before Buies' layup gave the Trojans a 49-47 lead with 5:13 remaining. Queens (10-9, 8-7) scored its remaining points from the free throw line, starting with Tia Hudgins' free throw with 4:58 left that pulled the Royals to within one point.
The score remained the same until Gary's steal led to a layup by Silva with 3:32 left to play. After a Queens turnover, Silva hit another layup as Mount Olive matched its biggest lead of the game at 53-48 with 2:33 remaining.
The Trojans wouldn't score again.
Other Local Sports
- WCDS' Thomas hits 1,000-point mark
- Chargers' Best surpasses 1,000 points for her career
- Trojan men's basketball team has adopted well to new philosophy
- MOC women's lacrosse team rolls to first-ever win
- Rosewood's Guthrie signs with Campbell
- CBA's Devin Hall finishes state 3-A runner-up in 1-meter diving
- Southern Wayne wrestling boxes
- Young Saints show maturity on the mat
- CBA grapplers have no trouble
- AG boys pull away from Spring Creek