EW girls finish unbeaten in ECC regular-season play
By News-Argus Staff
Published in Sports on February 13, 2013 1:47 PM
FOUR OAKS -- Eastern Wayne completed its Eastern Carolina 3-A Conference regular-season campaign in perfect fashion with a 53-46 win over South Johnston on Tuesday evening.
The No. 4-ranked Warriors (23-1 overall) concluded ECC play 12-0 and eclipsed the single-season school record for victories. Former head coaches Jerry Pelt and Brent Holland each posted a 22-win season during their respective careers.
Elondia Grant led Eastern Wayne with 18 points. Jasmine Covington and Rajuana Boyette contributed 13 and seven points, respectively.
"We still have a lot of growing to do because we are still a very young team," EW head coach Tyrone Wagner said. "We have six freshmen and sophomores. Most people may see that as a bad thing, but it is great to me. I'm very proud of the girls and my assistant coaches.
"We have worked very hard over the past few years to rise to the top. We have reached many milestones and we hope to continue to scratch in the record books.
The Warriors begin ECC tournament play next Wednesday.
Other Local Sports
- Tuesday's dual-team wrestling agate
- Preps digest: JV, middle school news
- Goldsboro boys clinch league title outright
- Rosewood grapplers survive two close calls
- Tuesday's prep basketball boxes
- Rosewood wrestling match changed
- Triton trips up CBA's boys
- Rosewood boys turn back North Duplin
- Mercer paces Rosewood girls on the road
- Triton slips past CBA girls