Preps digest: Goldsboro boys finish 10-0 in league play
By News-Argus Staff
Published in Sports on February 18, 2013 1:47 PM
• AYDEN -- Goldsboro put the finishing touches on a perfect Carolina 1-A Conference campaign with a 66-31 triumph over Ayden-Grifton on Friday evening.
It was the regular-season finale for both teams.
The Cougars (17-6 overall) finished 10-0 in league play and secured their third regular-season conference title in the past four years. Goldsboro faces either Princeton or Spring Creek in semifinal-round tournament action at Mount Olive College on Thursday.
Damarian Henderson paced Goldsboro's offense with 14 points. Myron Carmon contributed 10 points and Rasheen Artis collected nine.
Jamal George grabbed nine rebounds. Lonzia Tyson added six points, eight rebounds and two blocked shots.
Spring Creek 65,
North Duplin 64
• SEVEN SPRINGS -- Spring Creek avenged a loss earlier in the season to North Duplin and claimed a 65-64 victory over its Carolina 1-A Conference border rival Friday evening.
Daniel Krentz led the Gators with 14 points, while Brandon Gonzalez contributed 13.
Tyler Royal poured in 25 points for North Duplin. Cody Ivey added 12 points and Darron Goodman tallied nine in the loss.
North Duplin (2-21 overall, 1-9 CC) travels to Ayden-Grifton for opening-round play of the conference tournament on Tuesday night. Spring Creek (5-15, 2-8) faces Princeton the same evening at Ayden-Grifton.
Freedom Christian 77, Wayne Country Day 74
• WILSON -- Wayne Country Day missed multiple opportunities to grab the lead in the final minutes and suffered a 77-74, semifinal-round loss to Freedom Christian in the 2013 Coastal Plains Independent 1-A Conference tournament Friday evening.
Lee Atkinson led the Chargers with 26 points. Deshar Thomas added 18 points in the loss. Joel Davis and Marlon Coley each scored 12 points.
WCDS returns to action Tuesday in the N.C. Independent Schools Athletic Association state playoffs. The 12-team field and first-round pairings will be announced today.
Wimington Christian 72,
Faith Christian 62
• WILMINGTON -- Senior Aaron Hill, a McDonald's All-American nominee, pumped in 30 points in Faith Christian's season-ending, 72-62 defeat to N.C. Christian Schools Association foe Wilmington Christian.
Richard Sasser added 14 points for the Conquerors.
Faith Christian concluded the year 10-12 overall.
• Rosewood used an 18-3 run in the first half to eventually put away archrival Princeton, 52-24, in the Carolina 1-A Conference regular-season finale for both teams Friday evening.
The Eagles (15-6 overall, 8-2 CC) seized the No. 2 seed and an opening-round bye in the conference tournament, which begins Monday. The third-seeded Bulldogs (13-9, 5-5) play host to sixth-seeded North Duplin.
Rosewood scored the final six points of the first quarter against Princeton, and broke the game open with a 12-3 second-quarter effort.
Krystal Yelverton led the Eagles with 15 points. Lexi Mercer added 14 points and Holly Heath scored nine points.
Tori Paul paced the Bulldogs with seven points.
Spring Creek 65,
North Duplin 23
• SEVEN SPRINGS -- Alyssa Borja scored a career-high 30 points and Spring Creek rolled past Carolina 1-A Conference rival North Duplin 65-23 in the regular-season finale for both teams Friday evening.
Amber Buchan added 16 points for the Gators, who improved to 2-19 overall and face fourth-seeded Ayden-Grifton at Princeton on Monday evening.
Deja Aycock paced North Duplin with 10 points, while teammate Mikayla Koch added six points. The sixth-seeded Rebels (2-21, 0-10 CC) are the guests of Princeton on Monday in quarterfinal-round play of the conference tournament.
Wayne Country Day 35,
• WILSON -- Wayne Country Day took down archrival Greenfield in the semifinals of the Coastal Plains Independent 1-A Conference tournament on Friday night.
Hannah Pearson paced Wayne Country Day with 17 points and 14 rebounds. Sarah Best and Maggie O'Daniel each added six points.
Karis Hawkins had four points and seven rebounds.
The Chargers played Oakwood in the finals on Saturday.
Other Local Sports
- Wayne Country Day girls shake off nerves, clinch elite eight berth
- WCDS withstands CFCA rally
- Southern Wayne eliminates Cleveland
- prep basketball boxes
- Ayden-Grifton rolls over North Duplin
- Spring Creek boys knock out Princeton
- Campbell upends ECU
- Golden Falcons rout Trojans in ECC quarterfinals
- Saints march on in ECC 3-A girls' tournament
- Monday's prep basketball boxes