MOC men's volleyball team still perfect in league play
By MOC Sports Information
Published in Sports on February 27, 2013 1:47 PM
GAFFNEY, S.C. -- Mount Olive remained perfect on the Conference Carolinas men's volleyball scene with a 25-23, 25-22, 25-18 triumph over Limestone (S.C.) College on Tuesday evening.
Senior Adam Miracle paced the Trojans' offense with 13 kills. Angel Dache supplied 11 kills and four digs defensively.
Ben Casado dished out 34 assists for MOC, which climbed to 12-3 overall and 10-0 against league opposition this season. Richard Hesse recorded three blocks and senior libero Dan Arnold collected nine digs.
Kills by Miracle and Dache gave the Trojans a 24-19 lead in the opening set. The Saints fended off four set points before Tim Ebbecke closed it out for Mount Olive.
Alex Rivero, Miracle and Dache sparked the Trojans to an early 4-0 advantage in the second set. MOC extended its lead to 13-4 with a 5-0 run that included kills by Rivero and Ebbecke, and three Limestone attack errors.
The Saints closed the gap to two points twice, but Dache connected on a set-ending kill that gave the Trojans a 2-0 lead in the best-of-three contest.
MOC used a 6-1 middle-set run in the decisive third set.
Consecutive kills from Ebbecke and Dache, and three Saints attack errors pushed the margin to 16-10. Limestone pulled to within 19-17, but Rivero and Miracle were difficult to stop down the stretch.
The Trojans continue their seven-game, 17-day road swing Friday at in-state archrival Lees-McRae. First serve is 2 p.m.
Other Local Sports
- Wednesday's prep playoff boxes
- Rosewood boys fall to top-seeded East Carteret
- E. Wayne nets season-opening win
- Chargers deliver stunning blow at Lee Gymnasium
- James Kenan girls upend Goldsboro
- Warriors' man-to-man pressure drowns Knights
- CBA girls match Havelock's intensity, advances to 3rd round
- Falcons continue to soar in postseason
- Trojan men triumph on senior night
- Late scoring drought dooms MOC women