Trojans' Lafond clinches NCAA championship berth
By MOC Sports Information
Published in Sports on February 27, 2013 1:47 PM
MOUNT OLIVE -- Mount Olive College freshman Dylan Lafond has qualified to compete in the men's mile run at the 2013 NCAA Division II men's indoor track and field championships scheduled for March 7-9 at Birmingham, Ala.
Lafond becomes the first Trojan student-athlete to earn a national championship berth in either indoor or outdoor track. Lafond qualified with the ninth fastest time in the nation.
The New Hampshire native is among 17 qualifiers and is just one of two freshmen in the mile event. He assured his spot with a time of 4 minutes, 9.22 seconds during the George Mason University Last Chance Meet contested last weekend.
Lafond won the 2013 Conference Carolinas men's track and field freshman-of-the-year award.
Other Local Sports
- Wednesday's prep playoff boxes
- Rosewood boys fall to top-seeded East Carteret
- E. Wayne nets season-opening win
- Chargers deliver stunning blow at Lee Gymnasium
- James Kenan girls upend Goldsboro
- Warriors' man-to-man pressure drowns Knights
- CBA girls match Havelock's intensity, advances to 3rd round
- Falcons continue to soar in postseason
- Trojan men triumph on senior night
- Late scoring drought dooms MOC women