Hobbton spoils Goldsboro's season opener
By News-Argus Staff
Published in Sports on March 1, 2013 1:47 PM
NEWTON GROVE -- Hobbton posted six sixth-inning runs and handed Goldsboro a 12-2 loss in the season-opening game for both teams Thursday afternoon.
"The first five innings we looked like a much-improved team," second-year Goldsboro head coach Jackson Massey said. "We put pressure on their defense, but just didn't execute the way we wanted to. We were swinging at balls and taking strikes.
"I know we left the bases loaded twice."
Cayce Herring batted 1-for-4 and collected an RBI. Ronald Woody contributed the other hit, while Thomas Vick drove in a run.
Marlon Thomas endured the pitching loss.
Goldsboro (0-1 overall) travels to Beddingfield today.
Other Local Sports
- County grapplers seeking state titles
- NCCU hands Trojan women first loss of season in tennis
- MOC softball team splits doubleheader with UNC Pembroke
- Orrison delivers three hits for No. 2-ranked MOC
- Best leads Southern Wayne with 76 at GMGC
- Gators, Devils battle to 3-3 draw
- Fike hands CBA netters 6-3 loss
- Saints double up Gators on softball diamond
- Burroughs slugs home run in CBA defeat
- Rams suffer road loss against JH Rose