Local preps digest
By Ryan Hanchett
Published in Sports on March 2, 2013 11:22 PM
Eastern Wayne 2, Wilson Hunt 1
* Eastern Wayne opened the baseball season with a 2-1 win over Wilson Hun on Friday afternoon in New Hope.
The Warriors finished with five hits. Grayson Wells, Jeremy Lancaster, Josh Dixon, Tyler Huetter and Ryan Warren each tallied one hit in the win.
Zack Smith emerged as the winning pitcher for Eastern Wayne. Smith tossed two innings of scoreless relief on the mound.
Eastern Wayne (1-0 overall) opens Eastern Carolina 3-A Conference play on Tuesday at South Johnston.
C.B. Aycock 10, Rosewood 2
* PIKEVILLE -- Charles B. Aycock took down county rival Rosewood 10-2 on the baseball diamond Friday afternoon.
Garrett Joyner led the Golden Falcons with three hits and two runs scored. Adam Pate added one hit, three walks and three runs scored. Noah West delivered one hit and three RBI.
Jordan Gurley paced Rosewood's offense with two hits.
Gregory Johnson got the win on the mound on the strength of a four-inning outing that included five strikeouts. Gurley took the loss for Rosewood.
Rosewood (0-1) plays host to Midway on Tuesday.
Greenville Rose 3, C.B. Aycock 2
* GREENVILLE -- Greenville Rose scored the winning run on a Charles B. Aycock error with two outs in the bottom of the seventh inning of a 3-2 win on Saturday afternoon.
Noah West led the Golden Falcons with two hits and two RBI. Garrett Joyner, Bobby Hampton and Greg Johnson each had a hit.
Aycock (1-1) begins Eastern Carolina 3-A Conference play on Tuesday at Triton.
Greene Central 5, Spring Creek 4
* SNOW HILL -- Greene Central got its first win of the season with a 5-4 victory in eight innings over Spring Creek on Friday.
Kevin Ormond pitched two innings of relief en route to the mound win.
James Head led the Rams at the plate with two hits and two runs batted in.
Greene Central (1-0 overall) visits Southern Wayne on Wednesday.
North Pitt 8, Spring Creek 1
* GREENVILLE -- North Pitt pushed across six runs in the third inning of an 8-1 win over Spring Creek on Saturday at Guy Smith Stadium.
Matt Rogers led the Gators with two hits. Chad Spurgeon, Trey Hammonds and Will Rouse each added a hit.
Spring Creek (0-2) entertains Wallace-Rose Hill on Tuesday.
North Lenoir 10, Kinston 0
* LAGRANGE -- North Lenoir opened the baseball season with a 10-0 win over rival Kinston in a five-inning affair that was ended by the mercy rule.
Landon Letchworth led the Hawks on the pitchers mound by striking out nine consecutive batters over three innings of work en route to the win.
Sammy West paced North Lenoir at the plate with two hits and three runs scored. Justin Shimer added two hits and Dylan Puchalski hit a home run.
North Lenoir (1-0) opens Eastern Carolina 3-A Conference play on Tuesday at home against Cleveland.
D.H. Conley 4, Southern Wayne 2
* GREENVILLE -- Southern Wayne suffered its first setback of the season with a 4-2 defeat at D.H. Conley on Friday.
Cody Wendorf took the loss on the mound for the Saints. Wendorf lasted four innings and allowed four runs, but only two earned runs.
Taylor Raynor delivered a hit and two RBI for the Saints. Clayton Cashwell, Jacob Hollingsworth and Kevin Williams each added a hit in the defeat.
Southern Wayne (1-1) travels to Wilson Hunt on Tuesday.
North Duplin 8, Hobbton 1
* NEWTON GROVE -- North Duplin used a five-run sixth inning to break open a close game on its way to an 8-1 win on Friday at Hobbton.
The Rebels scored eight runs despite tallying just two hits. Taylen Lewis (RBI) and Mitchell Thigpen both collected a hit. North Duplin drew seven walks and the Wildcats committed four walks.
Cedrick Kornegay earned the win on the mound with four scoreless innings of work.
The Rebels travel to Lakewood on Monday.
Southern Wayne 17, Goldsboro 0
* Southern Wayne used a near-perfect pitching performance to take down Goldsboro 17-0 on Friday afternoon.
Morgan Best and Rachel Grady combined to throw a no-hitter for the Saints.
Savanna Wiggins led the Southern Wayne offense with two hits and two runs batted in.
Amena Williams suffered the defeat in the pitcher's circle for Goldsboro.
Southern Wayne (2-0 overall) and Goldsboro (0-1) meet again on Monday in Dudley.
C.B. Aycock 7, North Lenoir 2
* PIKEVILLE -- Charles B. Aycock defeated Eastern Carolina 3-A Conference foe North Lenoir 7-2 on Friday.
Addison Vail, Chas Hooks, Jackson Yelverton, Alan Best and Stanton Head each recorded a singles win for the Golden Falcons. The doubles teams of Hooks-Yelverton and Best-Austin Westbrook also prevailed.
Evan Kramer earned a singles victory for the Hawks. The doubles team of Kramer and Will Hardy also won for North Lenoir.
Aycock (1-1, 1-0 ECC) visits South Johnston on Monday.
* Baseball: Wilson Hunt 7, Eastern Wayne 5 -- Michael Wiggins led Eastern Wayne with three hits. Lee Daniels, Ethan Quinn and Collin Nix each added one hit in the defeat. Eastern Wayne fell to 0-1 overall.
Other Local Sports
- Preps digest: JV school news
- Miller brothers shut down Wallace-Rose Hill
- S. Creek-WRH baseball box
- Walnut Creek LGA season starts
- Vikings nip Rams, 6-5
- North Duplin stays perfect on baseball diamond
- Goldsboro diamond 9 fall at North Johnston
- CBA nets second ECC victory of the season
- Trinity-Raleigh scores late, edges Wayne Christian
- Southern Wayne blanks Hobbton ... again