Wayne Country Day drops pair of games
By News-Argus Staff
Published in Sports on March 9, 2013 11:10 PM
WILSON -- Cody Neal turned in a complete-game performance on the mound, but Wayne Country Day couldn't find enough run support in a 10-6 loss to Cape Fear Christian Academy on Saturday morning at Fleming Stadium.
Neal allowed 10 runs (five earned) on nine hits, struck out three and walked four. Offensively, Neal contributed two hits, including a triple and an RBI.
Mason Bland recorded two hits and two RBI. Wyatt Bland (RBI) and John Strickland (RBI) each posted one hit. Mitch Turnage drove in a run.
The Chargers opened their season with a 12-2 loss to Rocky Mount Academy on Friday.
Strickland took the mound loss. Turnage and Bland combined for three innings of relief. The trio combined for five strikeouts, but hit two batters and was victimized by a defense that allowed five unearned runs.
Thomas Kierski paced the offense with two hits. Neal, Mason Bland, Turnage (two RBI) and Wyatt Bland collected one hit apiece.
WCDS (0-2 overall) is the guest of county archrival Wayne Christian on Tuesday. First pitch is 6 p.m.
Other Local Sports
- Preps digest: JV sports news
- Trojan women stun No. 8-ranked Limestone in OT
- MOC sweeps Barton on baseball diamond
- Golden Falcons dominate Hawks on soccer pitch
- CBA survives fourth-inning mistakes, eases past North Lenoir
- CBA-NL baseball box
- Defending 3-A state champs hammer North Lenoir
- Rosewood pounds South Central, 13-2
- Triton nips Southern Wayne, 7-6
- Greene Central romps past Spring Creek in softball