Warriors net ECC win over Aycock in boys' tennis
By Staff Reports
Published in Sports on March 12, 2013 1:47 PM
Eastern Wayne prevailed in two of three doubles matches and handed county archrival Charles B. Aycock a 6-3 defeat on the Eastern Carolina 3-A Conference boys' tennis scene Monday afternoon.
The Warriors' top-seeded tandem of Chaz Fitzpatrick-Mitchell Kaspar collected an 8-2 decision over the Golden Falcons' Will Hoff-Addison Vail. The third-seeded duo of Sawyer Thompson-Sam Biggs turned back Stanton Head-Austin Coerver 8-3.
It was Eastern Wayne's third straight triumph over Aycock.
Fitzpatrick, the reigning eastern singles champion, posted a shutout victory at No. 1 singles. Kaspar, Thompson and Biggs each claimed a straight-set victory.
The Golden Falcons' Chas Hooks remained unbeaten in five singles matches this season with a 6-1, 6-1 conquest of third-seeded Hari Chittilla. Teammate Jackson Yelverton earned a 6-0, 6-0 win at the No. 4 slot.
Hooks-Yelverton secured Aycock's lone doubles point.
The Warriors, the reigning ECC champions, improved to 3-1 overall and 3-0 against league opposition this season. The Golden Falcons (2-3) departed 2-2 in ECC play.
Other Local Sports
- Preps digest: Middle schools sports news
- Rosewood's boys, girls place 2nd in track meet
- Bulldogs shut out EWA on soccer pitch
- Beckert throws two-hit shutout
- Wilson Hunt doubles up Eastern Wayne, 6-3
- Lejeune nips North Duplin
- Big inning helps Midway defeat Rosewood in baseball
- Coor has three hits in Spring Creek's road win
- Lane Tree LGA news
- EW-CBA tennis box