Spagnuolo's 3rd-set tiebreaker lifts Goldsboro
By News-Argus Staff
Published in Sports on March 22, 2013 1:47 PM
Second-seeded Vincent Spagnuolo pulled out a third-set tiebreaker at No. 2 singles and Goldsboro held off Wayne Christian, 5-4, on Thursday afternoon.
Spagnuolo defeated the Eagles' Matt Jackson 12-10 after the two split sets.
Josh Mathias, Devin Collins and John Stevens also recorded singles wins for Goldsboro. The doubles team of Stevens-Collins was also victorious for the Cougars.
Christopher Easom and Grahm Fussell collected singles wins for Wayne Christian. The teams of Easom-Hunter Timmerman and Fussell-Jackson also prevailed.
The Eagles (2-3 overall) entertain the Eastern Wayne junior varsity team on Tuesday at Wayne Community College, while Goldsboro visits Rosewood in the Carolina 1-A Conference opener for both teams.
Other Local Sports
- Late-inning errors aid Golden Falcons' comeback
- Hunt-CBA baseball box
- Webber leads Wayne Christian in CCC golf meet
- Spring Creek fares well in Carolina 1-A track meet
- CBA boys claim all 4 relays in ECC track meet
- Whitley, Velasquez lead Princeton on soccer field
- Gator softball notches first win of the season
- Wayne Christian comes back against Mt. Calvary
- Bulldogs beat Rebels in 6
- Lawrence Academy stops WCDS in 5 innings