Local Preps Digest
By Ryan Hanchett
Published in Sports on March 29, 2013 1:47 PM
Wayne Christian 12, Mt. Calvary 2
* Wayne Christian remained unbeaten with a 12-2, non-conference victory over Mount Calvary on Thursday.
The Eagles' Kelsey Kornegay and Georgia Parnell each hit an inside-the-park home run. Victoria Combs surrendered two unearned runs on one hit with six strikeouts and three walks to earn the win in the pitcher's circle.
Wayne Christian (5-0 overall) entertains Cape Fear Christian on Apr. 11.
Triton 2, C.B. Aycock 0
* PIKEVILLE -- Charles B. Aycock suffered a 2-0 loss to Eastern Carolina 3-A Conference foe Triton on Thursday evening.
Game details were not provided.
The Golden Falcons (6-6 overall, 5-2 ECC) visit North Lenoir on Apr. 9.
Wayne Country Day 5, Freedom Christian 0
* FAYETTEVILLE -- Wayne Country Day erupted for four second-half goals during a 5-0 victory at Coastal Plains Independent 1-A Conference foe Freedom Christian on Thursday afternoon.
Catherine Langston's goal off Mollie McDonald's assist late in the first half gave the Chargers a 1-0 lead.
Sarah Best scored three unassisted goals in the second half and Margaret Tanner also scored off Abbey Pope's assist.
Wayne Country Day (4-1-1 overall, 1-0-0 CPIC) entertains East Wake Academy on Apr. 3.
Spring Creek 3, Kinston 3
* SEVEN SPRINGS -- Kinston notched the equalizing goal in the final four minutes and Spring Creek settled for a 3-3, non-conference draw at "The Swamp."
Helen Santizo-Ventura collected the Gators' lone goal in the opening half. Teammate Madison Harkay punched in a pair of second-half goals, including one off of a corner kick.
The Gators (0-6-3 overall) play host to Tarboro on Apr. 9.
Goldsboro 8, Spring Creek 1
* Goldsboro cruised past Carolina 1-A Conference foe Spring Creek 8-1 on Thursday afternoon.
Josh Matias, Vincent Spagnuolo, Charles Robinson, Devin Collins and Jonathan Stevens each recorded a singles win for the Cougars. The tandems of Tyler Lane-Spagnuolo, Matias-Robinson and Collins-Stevens also prevailed.
Daniel Krentz earned the lone point for the Gators at No. 1 singles.
* Baseball: Mt. Olive 7, Dillard 0 -- Mount Olive defeated Dillard 7-0 on Thursday night. Ronnig Tookes, Jeremiah Smith and Darryl Gaddis each had one hit for Dillard.
Other Local Sports
- Local Preps Digest
- Mount Olive complete sweep of California (Pa.)
- Aycock's Moats earns boys' coach of the year
- Wagner receives girls' coach of the year honors
- Goldsboro's Moses tabbed girls' player-of-the-year
- Atkinson named boys' player-of-the-year
- Mount Olive completes sweep of California (Pa.)
- Wayne Christian breaks open game in fifth
- Strickland scores two quick goals
- Triton's McLamb no-hits C.B. Aycock