Aycock suffers heart-breaking loss
By News-Argus Staff
Published in Sports on April 1, 2013 1:47 PM
GREENVILLE -- Charles B. Aycock took a 5-0 lead into the bottom of the sixth inning, but West Johnston rallied for a 7-6 victory during opening-round play of the 2013 Pitt County Classic at Guy Smith Stadium on Saturday afternoon.
Golden Falcons' starting pitcher Bobby Hampton took a no-hitter into the sixth inning and surrendered two earned runs on two hits with five strikeouts and four walks. Hampton settled for a no-decision.
Adam Pate (RBI), Jacob Naughton and Greg Johnson each had two hits for Aycock. Noah West (two RBI) and Logan Brown (RBI) contributed one hit apiece.
Alex Burke supplied an RBI.
Weather permitting, the Golden Falcons (10-4 overall) face Holly Springs at South Central High School today. First pitch is 5 p.m.
Other Local Sports
- Preps digest: JV sports news
- Errors, walks prove critical in Saints' loss
- Pitt County Classic baseball boxes
- Riverside defeats North Lenoir in Pitt County Classic
- MOC volleyball sweeps Barton
- Trojans win pivotal Southeast Region series
- Pfeiffer pulls away late against Mount Olive
- Goldsboro's Cole, Darden will compete on national stage
- EW's Lancaster, Dixon provide leadership on the mound
- CBA alum Sasser gets save for Pack against Pirates