Thursday's preps digest
By Rudy Coggins
Published in Sports on April 11, 2013 1:47 PM
Neuse Charter 3
* SMITHFIELD -- Goldsboro scored 10 runs in the first inning and cruised past Neuse Charter 20-3 on Wednesday night.
Ronald Woody paced the Cougars' offense with three hits, including a grand slam in the third inning, and seven RBI. Zach Falconer added three hits and two runs scored. Rayshawn Dickerson finished with two hits and one RBI.
Isaiah Core (RBI), Sterling Dodson (RBI), Jamal Moses (RBI), Kenny Stempien (RBI) and Thomas Vick (RBI) provided one hit apiece in the non-conference win.
Goldsboro (2-13 overall) visits Spring Creek on Friday.
C.B. Aycock 14,
Greene Central 3
* SNOW HILL -- Charles B. Aycock got hot at the plate early and never looked back in a 14-3, non-conference win over Greene Central on Wednesday afternoon.
Bobby Hampton led the Golden Falcons with three hits and two RBI. Jacob Naughton, Hank Smitherman and Ben Rouse each added two hits in the win.
Gregory Johnson pitched a five-inning complete game to get the decision on the pitcher's mound.
C.B. Aycock plays host to South Johnston in a pivotal Eastern Carolina 3-A Conference game. Game time is 7 p.m.
North Duplin 3 (8 inn.)
* AYDEN -- Defending Carolina 1-A Conference champion Ayden-Grifton plated the game-winning run on a sacrifice fly to center field, and turned back North Duplin, 4-3, in eight innings on Tuesday evening.
It was the Rebels' first league loss of the season.
Taylan Lewis (RBI) and Mitchell Thigpen collected two hits apiece for North Duplin. Trey Pate provided a single and two RBI.
Pate and Thigpen combined for 13 strikeouts, eight walks and four hits on the pitcher's mound.
North Duplin (9-5 overall, 2-1 CC) travels to Rosewood on Thursday.
C.B. Aycock 11, Beddingfield 2
* PIKEVILLE -- C.B. Aycock opened up a six-goal lead in the first half and defeated Wilson Beddingfield 11-2 on Wednesday night.
Cheyenne Warrick led the Golden Falcons with five goals. Alex Strickland added four goals and three assists. Sabrina Johnson tallied two goals and two assists.
Emily Borel and Nikki Fitzmorris each added two assists.
C.B. Aycock (9-3-0 overall) travels to South Johnston on Friday.
Wayne Country Day 6, Oakwood 0
* Sarah Best scored in the first minute, Mollie McDonald added a goal two minutes later and Wayne Country Day handed Oakwood a 6-0 setback in Coastal Plains Independent 1-A Conference play.
"We have been a second-half team all season so we set up a more offensive lineup and urged the girls to play the first half with the urgency they have shown in second halves all season," second-year WCDS head coach Paul Casey said.
Best found the net again in the 39th minute.
Margaret Tanner scored in the 45th minute. Abbey Pope accounted for the Chargers final two goals, including an assist from Caroline Koscheski in the 74th minute.
Wayne Country Day (5-2-1 overall) remained unbeaten in two CPIC outings this season.
Lane Tree LGA
* Mary Ann Sutton won a card playoff against Nan Jarrell and emerged the game-of-the-week winner during action on the Lane Tree Golf Club links.
Barbara Hill claimed low net, while Jarrell won a card playoff against Sherry Minner for low putts.
Other Local Sports
- Golden Falcons triumph on 7th-inning error
- Rosewood-Goldsboro tennis boxscore
- Thursday's prep baseball boxscores
- North Duplin stops Rosewood in 8 innings
- Goldsboro girls out-shine league opposition
- Goldsboro boys fare well in Carolina 1A track affair
- CBA boys claim ECC 3A track meet
- Wayne Christian turns back Greenfield
- Eastern Wayne blanks South Johnston in girls' soccer
- Bulldogs trip up Saints on soccer pitch