Saints take ECC 3A boys' golf meet
By News-Argus Staff
Published in Sports on April 12, 2013 1:47 PM
BUIES CREEK -- Southern Wayne claimed its second straight team victory and Cleveland assumed the overall team-stroke lead during the fourth Eastern Carolina 3-A Conference golf meet of the season on Wednesday afternoon.
The Saints carded a four-player total of 321 on the Keith Hills Country Club links -- two strokes better than Cleveland. The Rams grabbed the ECC lead with a 1,360-1,361 advantage over South Johnston in team competition.
Southern Wayne is third with 1,364 strokes.
A returning state qualifier, Kyle Best led the Saints' charge with an 81. Teammates Jon Barrow (84), Timmy Stroud (85) and Julian Mitchell (86) completed the scoring.
Charles B. Aycock ended fourth at 354. Ranked among the league's top 12 golfers, the Golden Falcons' Dylan Mitchell and Battle Burnette posted an 18-hole round of 82 and 88, respectively. Teammates Mitchell Langston (88) and Josh Wheeler (96) contributed to the team score.
Triton placed fifth with 360.
Eastern Wayne, led by Ty Schmeltzer's 90, wound up sixth at 390. The Warriors got contributions from Willis Underwood (91), Jacob Sauls (95), Andrew Lockerby (114) and Tommy Sheppard.
North Lenoir finished seventh.
Other Local Sports
- Golden Falcons triumph on 7th-inning error
- Rosewood-Goldsboro tennis boxscore
- Thursday's prep baseball boxscores
- North Duplin stops Rosewood in 8 innings
- Goldsboro girls out-shine league opposition
- Goldsboro boys fare well in Carolina 1A track affair
- CBA boys claim ECC 3A track meet
- Wayne Christian turns back Greenfield
- Eastern Wayne blanks South Johnston in girls' soccer
- Bulldogs trip up Saints on soccer pitch