Local Preps Digest
By Andrew Stevens
Published in Sports on April 14, 2013 1:51 AM
Freedom Christian 5, Wayne Country Day 3
* Freedom Christian scored five runs inthe first two innings and held off Wayne Country Day 5-3 on Friday afternoon.
Mason Bland and John Strickland each tallied one hit and one RBI for the Chargers. Wyatt Bland and Mitch Turnage each added one hit.
Cody Neal took the loss on the pitcher's mound despite a nine-strikeout effort.
Wayne Country Day (5-7) plays host to Greenfield on Tuesday.
Greene Central 10,
* SNOW HILL -- Greene Central picked up an Eastern Plains 2-A Conference win with a 10-8 victory over Wilson Beddingfield on Friday night.
Austin Mooring last 51/3 innings on the pitcher's mound for the win. Ben Brand got the save.
Chad Murphy paced the Rams with three hits and one RBI. James Head tallied two hits including a two-run home run.
Greene Central (7-7) visits Tarboro on Tuesday.
Cape Fear Christian 20,
Wayne Christian 0 (4 inn.)
* Perennial 1-A power Cape Fear Christian handed Wayne Christian a 20-0, mercy-rule loss in Carolina Christian 1-A Conference play.
Victoria Combs surrendered seven hits inside the pitcher's circle.
The Eagles posted 13 unearned runs on five errors and 12 walks.
Wayne Christian (5-1 overall, 1-1 CCC) is the guest of The Oakwood School on Monday.
Mooring records ace
* Dan Mooring recorded his third career hole-in-one at Goldsboro Municipal Golf Course on Thursday afternoon.
Mooring aced on the No. 7 hole.
Witnessing the feat were Benny Wiggs, Wells Warner and Ronnie Davis.
Walnut Creek LGA
* Jewel Ivey claimed first low gross during an Eastern Carolina Ladies League meet contested Falling Creek Country Club in Kinston.
Mary Morris won second low gross in third flight, while Evelyn Rose captured low putts. Pete Reaves seized first net in fight flight.
In a recent play-day at Walnut Creek Country Club, Hiromi Sueki (low gross), Linda Cannon (low net) and Penny Ritt (low putts) emerged the winners.
Other Local Sports
- Wayne County Track & Field Championships -- CBA girls repeat as team champs
- Wayne County Track & Field Championships -- EW boys retain team crown
- Wayne County Track & Field Championship results
- So. Wayne-Cleveland box
- Southern Wayne edges Cleveland in 10 innings
- Golden Falcons net non-league victory
- Eagles rally past Gators in league opener
- Princeton "Brushes" aside Goldsboro
- Wayne Christian softball falls to Oakwood
- Wilson Christian shuts out Faith Christian