Saints continue late-season surge in ECC 3-A golf
By Ryan Hanchett
Published in Sports on April 16, 2013 1:47 PM
Southern Wayne entered Monday's Eastern Carolina 3-A Conference golf match four strokes behind Cleveland High School in the overall team standings.
The Saints emerged with a 17-shot advantage when all was said and done at Lane Tree Golf Club.
Southern Wayne carded a team total of 322 and finished first overall. Kyle Best claimed medalist honors with a 77. Johnathon Barrow fired an 80, Timmy Stroud shot 82 and Julian Mitchell carded an 83 for the Saints.
"I was pretty pleased with how we played," Southern Wayne head coach Jeremy Joyner said. "I think we are starting to put it together as a team. We have broken the 330 barrier twice now, so it's time to see if we can get under 320."
Charles B. Aycock finished second on its home course with a 340. Battle Burnette paced the Golden Falcons with an 80. Josh Wheeler (85), Dylan Mitchell (86) and Matthew Ivey (89) rounded out the team's total.
"We were in fourth place coming into today so we knew we needed to make up ground," first-year C.B. Aycock head coach Dave Elmore said. "We had a pretty good day to finish second and we gained a few strokes on Cleveland and South Johnston."
Cleveland finished third as a team with a 343 total. South Johnston shot 349 and Triton shot 384.
Eastern Wayne fired a 418 total. Willis Underwood led the Warriors with a round of 85. North Lenoir got an 86 from Alex Brownlee, but did not have enough golfers to record a team score.
The next ECC match is Apr. 24 at Cardinal Country Club in Selma.
Other Local Sports
- Wayne County Track & Field Championships -- CBA girls repeat as team champs
- Wayne County Track & Field Championships -- EW boys retain team crown
- Wayne County Track & Field Championship results
- So. Wayne-Cleveland box
- Southern Wayne edges Cleveland in 10 innings
- Golden Falcons net non-league victory
- Eagles rally past Gators in league opener
- Princeton "Brushes" aside Goldsboro
- Wayne Christian softball falls to Oakwood
- Wilson Christian shuts out Faith Christian