Golden Falcons edge Greene Central in tennis
By News-Argus Staff
Published in Sports on April 23, 2013 1:47 PM
PIKEVILLE -- Charles B. Aycock won the final match of the night in doubles and claimed a 5-4, non-conference victory over Greene Central on Monday night.
Addison Vail, Jackson Yelverton, Allan Best and Stanton Head each earned a singles point for the Golden Falcons. The tandem of Austin Westbrook-Best put the match away with a win in doubles.
'It was nice to finish the regular season with a win against a really good team," CBA head coach Luke Vail said. "Jackson and Stanton both won close matches in singles, and that put us in position to close out the match in doubles. We were fortunate to win because Greene Central outplayed us at number one and two doubles.
"But Allan and Austin had their best match of the year."
The Golden Falcons (11-5 overall) return to action Wednesday in the season-ending Eastern Carolina 3-A Conference tournament at Herman Park. First-round singles and doubles matches begin at 2 p.m.
Other Local Sports
- Preps digest: Middle school news
- Eastern Wayne stays in playoff chase
- E. Wayne-Triton, So. Wayne-N. Lenoir baseball boxes
- Saints claim 10-inning win over Hawks
- Lane Tree Ladies Golf Association
- Hulse, Mozingo provide Warriors' offense
- Johnson has five assists, goal for CB Aycock
- Rivera scores twice in Saints' home win
- Errors, walks spell trouble for Wayne Christian
- Bulldogs' Paul logs complete-game win