Eastern Wayne turns back North Lenoir in ECC baseball
By News-Argus Staff
Published in Sports on April 26, 2013 1:47 PM
La GRANGE -- Eastern Wayne broke a 1-1 tie with two fifth-inning runs and dealt North Lenoir a 3-1 loss in the regular-season finale for both Eastern Carolina 3-A Conference teams on Thursday evening.
"Any time you win, it's a good one," EW head coach Jabo Fulghum said. "It's a big win for us to stay alive (in the playoff chase). North Lenoir's record is not indicative of how (good) they are, I will tell you that. They have played everybody tough.
"We played well, pitched it well and played fairly good defense."
The Warriors' Ryan Faucette batted 2-for-3 with two RBI and scored a run. Grayson Wells and Brandon Johnson each supplied one hit.
Faucette provided four innings of one-hit, six-strikeout relief and claimed the pitching win. Jeremy Lancaster started and permitted one run on two hits, walked one and struck out two in three innings.
Caleb Baird swatted a home run for North Lenoir.
Eastern Wayne (10-11 overall, 6-6 ECC) and North Lenoir (4-14, 2-10) return to action in the ECC tournament, which begins Tuesday. Six of the Hawks' 10 league losses have been by two runs or less this season.
Other Local Sports
- Warrick notches 6 goals on senior night
- Golden Falcons clinch portion of ECC 3A baseball title
- C.B. Aycock-So. Wayne baseball box
- Fitzpatrick claims ECC singles tennis crown
- Bill, Mercer score in Rosewood's home win
- Best notches game-winning goal against Epiphany
- Warriors tie for 2nd in ECC 3A girls soccer
- Wayne Christian tennis falls to Oakwood
- Saints' linksters continue late-season surge
- North Lenoir softball defeats Eastern Wayne