Trojans bump Saints from ECC baseball tournament
By News-Argus Staff
Published in Sports on May 2, 2013 1:47 PM
FOUR OAKS -- South Johnson scored the game-winning run with no outs in the bottom of the seventh inning, and turned back Southern Wayne, 5-4, in the quarterfinals of the Eastern Carolina 3-A Conference tournament Wednesday evening.
The third-seeded Trojans (16-7 overall) started the seventh with a single. The next batter bunt and the throw sailed into the right-field corner, which allowed the runner to score from first base.
Cody Wendorf fanned 10 South Johnston batters and gave up five runs (four earned) in six innings of work. Wendorf contributed three hits and two RBI at the plate.
Nathan Barwick added one hit.
Southern Wayne concluded the year 12-11 overall.
Other Local Sports
- Ayden-Grifton slips past Goldsboro on baseball diamond
- Grace-Sanford/Wayne Christian box
- Webber named Carolina Christian 1A golfer-of-the-year
- Eagles drop non-conference tennis match to Greenfield
- Grace-Sanford snaps Wayne Christian's CCC tournament-title streak
- Preps digest: Middle school news
- Aycock escapes on defensive error
- CBA-Cleveland softball box
- Rosewood successfully defends Carolina 1A golf crown
- Adams claims medalist honors at annual Cookout Classic