Local Preps Digest
By From staff reports
Published in Sports on May 5, 2013 1:52 AM
Rosewood 7, Princeton 5
* Rosewood scored three runs in the bottom of the sixth inning to overcome archrival Princeton 7-5 on Friday night.
Jordan Gurley got the win on the pitcher's mound in relief of Reed Howell.
Howell led the Eagles at the plate with two hits, a double and a triple. Khalil Warren also added two hits in the win.
Rosewood faces Spring Creek on Monday at Southern Wayne to determine the third and fourth seeds from the Carolina 1-A Conference for the state playoffs. Game time is 6 p.m. Princeton visits North Johnston on Monday.
North Lenoir 10,
Greene Central 5
* La GRANGE -- North Lenoir defeated Greene Central 10-5 in non-conference play Friday evening.
Davis Wilson led the Rams with two home runs and three RBI. Chandler Barrow endured the loss on the mound.
Greene Central (13-8) faces North Pitt on Monday at D.H. Conley to determine the top seed out of the Eastern Plains 2-A Conference for the N.C. High School Athletic Association 2-A state playoffs. The Rams and Panthers both finished 10-2 in EPC play.
Wayne Country Day 3
* WILSON -- Wayne Country Day endured a 13-3 loss to Greenfield on Friday night.
The Chargers were plagued by six errors. Cody Neal led Wayne Country Day with two hits and RBI. John Strickland (RBI), Mitch Turnage (RBI) and Thomas Kierski each supplied a hit. Neal suffered the loss on the mound.
The Chargers (7-12, 1-7 CPIC) hopes to receive a bid to the N.C. Independent Schools Athletic Association 1-A state playoffs. The pairings are announced today.
Faith Christian 6, Greenville Christian 3
* Seventh-grader Jack Casbarro tossed five innings of relief in Faith Christian's 6-3 win over visiting Greenville Christian on Friday afternoon in the first round of the N.C. Christian Schools Athletic Association 2-A state playoffs.
Seth Price paced the Conquerors with four hits. Christian Mills (RBI), Casbarro and Aaron Hill each had a hit.
Faith (4-9) visits Bethel Christian in Tuesday's second round.
North Duplin 12, Spring Creek 2
* SEVEN SPRINGS -- North Duplin pounded-out 13 hits and rolled past Carolina 1-A Conference rival Spring Creek 12-2 on Friday night.
Mikayla Koch led the Rebels with five hits and three runs batted in. Shaily McCarty and Chesney Brown each added two hits in the win. Casey Thornton, Cory Anderson, Elizabeth Thornton and Christin Boykin each tallied one hit.
Koch and McCarty combined to strike out 13 Spring Creek batters.
North Duplin will be on the road for the first round of the N.C. High School Athletic Association 1-A state playoffs. The Rebels' game time and opponent are yet to be determined.
Cleveland 3, Eastern Wayne 0
* CLAYTON -- Cleveland defeated Eastern Wayne 3-0 on Friday night in the Eastern Carolina 3-A Conference tournament finals.
The Rams won the ECC tournament for the second consecutive season.
Eastern Wayne (11-4) begins play in the N.C. High School Athletic Association 3-A state playoffs next week.
Other Local Sports
- Rouse delivers game-winning, 10th-inning hit for Gators
- Rosewood-SC baseball box
- Princeton's Cobb signs with NC Wesleyan
- MOC draws Peach Belt champ Columbus State in softball regional
- Aycock hopes to get rid of playoff demons
- Adams claims 3rd straight 1A east individual golf crown
- Local track athletes qualify for state finals
- Prep tennis players advance to finals
- MOC downs Winston-Salem State
- Joyner-Parris claim Handy Mart-Mount Olive College Invitational