Adams claims 3rd straight 1A east individual golf crown
By Staff Reports
Published in Sports on May 7, 2013 1:47 PM
JACKSONVILLE -- Rosewood junior Nick Adams grinded his way to a third consecutive individual championship during the N.C. High School Athletic Association Class 1-A eastern regional men's golf tournament Monday afternoon.
Playing in miserable conditions, Adams fashioned a 3-over-par 75 on the Bear Trail Golf Course. He helped the Eagles place third overall and clinch their third consecutive trip to the NCHSAA state finals next Monday and Tuesday at Chapel Hill Country Club.
"Nick was able to grind through a cold, wet day where the course conditions and set up were extremely tough," RHS head coach Daniel Baynes said. "We are so proud of how he battled. Even though they were calling for rain, the course superintendent pushed the tees back as far as they could be and set the pins on ridges to increase the difficulty of the course.
"It was surely not the same course that we've played for the past two years. The better golfers really had to rise to the top."
Andrew Henn and Dylan Greene carded 18-hole rounds of 88 and 90, respectively. Jaz Verceles-Zara added a 101. Dylan Champion and Jeremy Mercer also participated for the Eagles.
Spring Creek's Kyle Stone (79) and Goldsboro's Matthew Hall (83) qualified as individuals for the state championships. Hall hit two balls out of bounds on the first hole (No. 10), but recovered to play the remainder of the round at 4-over par.
"Matt was able to remain mentally tough despite early struggles," said second-year Goldsboro head coach Ray Lippert.
Martin Riverside won the team title, followed by Southwest Onslow.
Other Local Sports
- Conquerors' baseball season closes at Bethel
- Chargers ousted from NCISAA 1A baseball playoffs
- Wayne Christian-Statesville baseball game postponed
- Rosewood softball falls to South Central
- Burroughs homers in Aycock's home loss
- C.B. Aycock-Triton baseball box
- ECC baseball sweep -- Aycock wins regular-season, tournament titles
- Lane Tree LGA news
- Rosewood's Clark will join new college football program in Georgia
- Eagles' Raynor likes Fayetteville State's up-tempo offense