Burroughs homers in Aycock's home loss
By News-Argus Staff
Published in Sports on May 8, 2013 1:46 PM
PIKEVILLE -- South Johnston batted around in the top of the sixth inning and cruised past Charles B. Aycock, 8-5, in the Eastern Carolina 3-A Conference tournament championship game Tuesday evening.
The Trojans have won three ECC tournament crowns since joining the league in 2009-10.
Meredith Burroughs swatted her sixth home run of the season and 33rd of her career during early-inning action. Senior outfielder Jenna Van Horn drove in three runs for the Golden Falcons, who have won four ECC tournament championships since 2006.
Aycock (13-9 overall) plays host to an undetermined opponent Friday in opening-round action of the N.C. High School Athletic Association playoffs.
Other Local Sports
- Preps digest: Middle school news
- Princeton notches first-ever, girls' soccer playoff win
- Quillen taking wrestling talents to UNC Pembroke
- WCDS gets at-large bid to NCISAA 1A girls' soccer playoffs
- Aycock snaps playoff skid in girls' soccer
- MOC briefs
- Southeast Regional softball -- Trojans face tough opening-round game
- NC Wesleyan's academic reputation lured Bill
- Conquerors' baseball season closes at Bethel
- Chargers ousted from NCISAA 1A baseball playoffs