Rebels test Southwest Onslow on softball diamond
By News-Argus Staff
Published in Sports on May 11, 2013 11:15 PM
JACKSONVILLE -- Hali Botzenhart mashed a three-run, first-inning home run and Southwest Onslow hung on for a 7-4 victory over North Duplin in first-round action of the NCHSAA Class 1-A playoffs on Friday evening.
The Rebels concluded the year 8-12 overall.
Southwest, the Coastal Conference champion, entertains Rosewood on Tuesday. A game time has not been determined.
The Stallions (18-3) built a 5-0 run advantage, only to see North Duplin climb to within 5-4 in the middle innings.
A third-inning error broke up Southwest's shutout bid and a fourth-inning defensive miscue closed the gap to 5-2. Christian Boykin's two-RBI bloop single to center field made it 5-4.
Southwest answered with single runs in the fourth and fifth innings.
Other Local Sports
- Saints' Price, Outlaw sign with Catawba Valley CC
- CBA eliminated from dual-team playoffs
- Rosewood has rough opening round
- MOC hopes layoff hasn't affected team's timing at the plate
- Stinging loss on home field fuels Trojans
- MOC's Overman named second-team all-Southeast Region
- Faith Christian softball finishes NCCSA 2A state runner-up
- MOC baseball team will host 2013 NCAA Division 2 Southeast Regional
- Tanner, Best provide Chargers' offensive punch
- Malette, Frasier each bring home silver medal from 1A state meet