MOC baseball team will host 2013 NCAA Division 2 Southeast Regional
By MOC Sports Information
Published in Sports on May 13, 2013 1:48 PM
INDIANAPOLIS, Ind. -- The road to the NCAA Division II College World Series, for the third straight year, will go through Mount Olive.
The Trojans (46-6 overall) drew the No. 1 seed for the six-team regional and will face South Atlantic Conference tournament champion Lincoln Memorial (Tenn.) on Thursday. First pitch is 6 p.m. at Scarborough Field.
Third-seeded Armstong Atlantic State (Ga.) opposes fourth-seeded Coker, the Conference Carolinas tournament champion, at 11 a.m. Second-seeded USC Aiken takes on Peach Belt tournament champion Georgia College at 3 p.m.
MOC claimed its fourth consecutive Conference Carolinas regular-season title, but had to settle for an at-large bid after bowing out on the third day of its tournament. USC Aiken and Armstrong Atlantic each went 0-2 in the PBC tournament and received the remaining two at-large bids.
Three games are scheduled for Thursday through Saturday in the double-elimination regional. The champion advances to the CWS at the USA Baseball National Training Center in Cary.
The Trojans won the Division II national crown in 2008 and tied for third in the 2011 CWS.
Other Local Sports
- Pam Pack opens door for new 3A softball state champion
- Washington-C.B. Aycock box
- Union-Spring Creek box
- Union eliminates Spring Creek from 1A baseball playoffs
- Rosewood's Adams cards second-day 72
- WCDS bows out of NCISAA 1A soccer playoffs
- Rosewood upsets SW Onslow in 1A softball playoffs
- Princeton's Paul, Wood combine for 2-hit shutout
- N. Duplin-W. Columbus box
- Eighth-inning error helps North Duplin advance in postseason