MOC defeats Armstrong Atlantic
By MOC Sports Information
Published in Sports on May 19, 2013 12:01 AM
MOC Sports Information
MOUNT OLIVE -- Daniel Oliver mashed a go-ahead, sixth-inning home run and Matt Dillon tossed a complete game during Mount Olive's 7-3 triumph over Armstrong Atlantic State (Ga.) University in the 2013 NCAA Division II Southeast Regional on Friday afternoon.
The loss eliminated the Pirates.
Down 3-1 through 51/2 innings, the top-seeded Trojans rallied behind Mike Mercurio's walk and Jermaine Berry's base hit. AASU pitcher Chris Base (4-5) retired the next two batters he faced before Oliver blasted a one-strike pitch high over the fence down the left-field line which was signaled fair by the third-base umpire.
It was Oliver's eighth homer of the season.
Mount Olive (48-6 overall) plated two seventh-inning runs on RBI singles from Berry and Geno Escalante. Escalante delivered his 10th homer of the season -- an opposite-field blast in the ninth.
The Pirates collected 12 hits against Dillon, who went the distance and benefited from his defense. Left fielder Matt Petrone logged two assists as Mercurio relayed a throw to nail a runner at second base in the third inning, and Berry relayed a throw in the fifth to gun down a runner at the plate.
AASU put runners on first and second with no outs in the bottom of the eighth inning. Chase Butler legged out an infield single and RJ Dennard walked. Mercurio turned a double play after dropping a ball and tagging Butler out at second base.
Dillon ended the inning with a strikeout -- one of seven Ks on the day.
The Pirates concluded the year 31-17 overall.
Mount Olive improved to 3-1 all-time against AASU in regional play.
Other Local Sports
- WCDS spring awards announced
- Trask-Princeton softball box
- New faces join veterans as Post 11 prepares for 2013 season
- Trojans' coaching staff will be busy filling voids during offseason
- Trask eliminates Princeton from 1A softball playoffs
- Call him 'Grandpa': Pack's Sasser enjoying extra year of eligibility
- Lane Tree Ladies Golf Association news
- Eagles' Jones earns three medals at NCISAA 1A/2A state track meet
- Coker wins Southeast Regional, advances to Division II CWS
- Pirates get No. 3 seed for season-ending CUSA tournament