Pirates get No. 3 seed for season-ending CUSA tournament
By ECU Sports Information
Published in Sports on May 20, 2013 1:48 PM
IRVING, Texas -- East Carolina is the No. 3 seed for the season-ending Conference USA baseball tournament, which begins Wednesday at Reckling Park in Houston.
The Pirates (30-24) face the host Cougars at noon Thursday. ECU will face seventh-seeded Tulane at noon Friday and regular-season co-champion Southern Miss at 8 p.m. Saturday.
In the other four-team pod, top-seeded Rice University faces defending league champion UAB at 7 p.m. Wednesday. The Owls, winners of seven straight CUSA crowns, oppose fifth-seeded UCF on Thursday and square off against Memphis at noon Saturday.
The top two finishers from each four-team pod advance to the championship game Sunday. The winner earns an automatic bid to the NCAA Division I tournament.
Just two games separated the top six teams in the wildest regular-season race in conference history. Rice and Southern Miss each posted a 15-9 league worksheet, while the Pirates and Memphis shared runner-up honors at 14-10.
UCF and Houston tied for third at 13-11.
East Carolina is 18-18 all-time in CUSA tournament play and has not won a league championship since 2002.
Other Local Sports
- Lafond chasing dreams: MOC freshman competing in NCAA D2 national outdoor track meet
- WCDS spring awards announced
- Trask-Princeton softball box
- New faces join veterans as Post 11 prepares for 2013 season
- Trojans' coaching staff will be busy filling voids during offseason
- Trask eliminates Princeton from 1A softball playoffs
- Call him 'Grandpa': Pack's Sasser enjoying extra year of eligibility
- Lane Tree Ladies Golf Association news
- Eagles' Jones earns three medals at NCISAA 1A/2A state track meet
- Coker wins Southeast Regional, advances to Division II CWS